Introduce yourself!

owner

owner

Greetings,
First I must say this has to be one of, if not the best Graphic Arts (and I proudly stress ARTS) forums I have encountered on the web.
My first encounter with print was in high school, I thought it would be handy to know how to counterfeit. I wasn't always the man I have evolved into....
However, my instructor said; "I would never make it in the printing industry" . I wonder if I have??
I am located in Winnipeg and started circa 1977 back in the "PMT" and waxer days. Borrowed a part-time employers equipment to run orders from friends etc. Now I have two small offsets, a windmill, all the bindery equipment you need and mostly run poly plates off of a HP5100. Together my wife and I have 7 adults/children, 1 grandson, 4 dogs and 2 cats.
Thank you for having me.

Hello All,

My name is dREW and I have been in the Prepress Industry 11 years now. I am currently a Production Artist for a large company in Cincinnati, OH. I have done it all in the past 11 years. I started in proofing and worked my way through the ranks, I learned Assembly and went back to PA. I was interested in joining for the networking and knowledge sharing. Specifically looking for some Esko Pilot help. I have 2 wonderful girls (2.5yrs and 7yrs old) and a beautiful wife. I try to spend as much of my free time with my girls as possible.

Thanks ahead of time for anyone's help.
dREW

Hi to all,

My name is Sam Ybarra and I am a Service Tech for Didde Web Presses.
I started in printing and photography while in high school, after high school I attended Los Angeles Trade-Tech College...
Went on to a local, but now gone, shop and there I was running Didde Web Presses...after about seven years of running the Didde Presses I was hired on as a Service Rep for Didde Web Press.I worked for them for 17 years and for the last 5 years been working for myself (doing the same thing)
All in all I've been into Printing and Photography for about 33 years...

Greetings, my name is Michael. I’ve been monitoring this forum for over a year and thought I had registered before, who knows?

Anyway I have been in the printing/publishing/photography business since 1972. I got into photography and small offset printing in high school and became hooked. In my first job right out of school, I started out doing letterpress work on Heidelberg windmill and hand-fed presses. Did a little work with die cutting on a larger Heidelberg and hot stamping on a Kluge, type setting on Ludlow hot type. Merged on to machine bindery running old Lawson cutter then on to Polar Spacer cutter, folding and stitching machines.

Somewhere along the way I attended the Ohio Institute of Photography and majored in portraiture. For years I did free-lance photography out of my home.

My next adventure was with a 4-color separation house doing darkroom work and 4-color commercial stripping up to 30” x 40” lays. Proofing systems we used back then were Color Keys and Chromalins.

The next steps on the ladder I ended up working for a one-hour photo shop doing film processing, printing and portraiture. That led to getting into the newspaper business for several years doing photojournalism. Eventually I got interested in computers as that industry began to incorporate desktop publishing, digital media and image setters.

From there I did a brief stint in the information technology world as a field technician with a newspaper firm where I became more involved in computers, setting up and running RIPs, etc. Next I landed in the prepress department for the company at one of their printing hubs. There I got more involved in that side of the printing world keeping the image setter calibrated and running, doing darkroom camera work, burning plates, troubleshooting PDFs, etc.

Which finally got me where I am today doing ad creation, layout, illustration and design work for a business newspaper. Of course I keep my hands involved in the computers, servers and troubleshooting. We are on a Mac platform, currently using CS2. One of the greatest battles I now face is working with all the wonderful files that we receive from various clients. My favorite line is that with the invention of desktop publishing programs many years ago, everyone and their mother became a printer. (Sorry Mom!) Now with the advancement in digital cameras, everyone is a photographer as well.

My hobbies include art, amateur radio, bird watching, computers, digital video, nature, photography and wine.

I look forward each week to getting the PrintPlanet.com Weekly Digest, trying to keep somewhat in tune to what is going on in the world. I enjoy reading the various posts and many times have found solutions to problems or leads to check out.

Keep up the great work!

Michael

Hi Every one,
I am Manavazhagan, Little difficult name to pronounce. Dont worry Call me as Mana.
I am working as Sr. Field Service Manager in Heidelberg India Pvt. Ltd.
Past 19 years working in this company. Having Good Knowledge from Conventional Scanners to Latest Suprasetter CtP. Now I am look after Prepress application area. Giving training to Customers and also
involved training activities in Print Media Academy, Chennai, India.

What's up everyone,

The name is Michael and I hail from The Bahamas.

I'm a relative newbie to the printing business, having worked a few years in a printshop in Ft Lauderdale, FL and presently working towards opening my own small print & design studio here in The Bahamas. So I'm going to have a bunch of questions to ask and welcome any suggestions!

Sounds like the only person you like is yourself!
I have worked with pre press people like that before
and they all seem to have an over inflated impression
of themselves! hehe

newbee

newbee

Hello everyone,Well i've been away from the printing industry since 1983. I decided to get back into the printwork. I have a abdick 9810cx swingaway and Iteek 613s in my Garage .I hope I made good choice on equipment . Any Advise out there ?

Thanks, 455sup

Well hopefully still have a UV lightsource and or developing solutions, or you will need to get into a digital imaging solution for your plates. Our shop uses thermal plates, imaged in a platesetter. I don't know if you have a direct process camera, certainly the trend is towards digital printing for runs under 1000 now.
Camera ready is just about 100% vanished here in the high tech-bay area. Film output is also almost entirely phased out. How are you going to handle the imaging? & or pre-press?

My name is Matthew Flashner and I work for Smith Print Inc., in Norwell, Massachusetts as their Workflow Administrator. I just got this job about 3 months ago and I just graduated from RIT 6 months ago. I was in the Graphic Media concentration and have had a passion for all types of media, whether it be printing or new types. We are a commercial sheetfed and small press shop. We have an AB Dick 2C, and PrintMaster in our small press, a 6C Heidelberg and finally a newly put in Komori SX29 5C press with Varnish/Aqueous.

My basic function is to integrate the MIS system into more areas of the workflow as well as bring lean into the mindset of our employees. I also solve problems that everyone seems to not know how to solve!

Outside of work I live in Rhode Island, its an hour drive to work everyday, and I take apart computers, make websites in my free time, play video games, and try to get my feet wet in the political spectrum of society.

Last edited:
my name is albert noel and i work for henderson printing in brockville, ontario, canada.
i'm a 1st pressman on a 29" 5 colour w/ aq coater.

i've been in the industry as a dupe/press operator for a little over 7 years. trying to learn as much as i can so that one day i can hopefully become a print instructor. (thats how much i love putting ink on paper!)

Hello
Im Kenneth from Denmark, I work fore the Komori dealer in Denmark as a printinstructor. I been working with and on Komori presses for about 11 years.
Have a nice day

Crazy newbie!

Crazy newbie!

Hi

My name is Pat

I work in a small shop, With the basic equipments but running well and well established since 1907!

I'M the one in charge for the first contact with the customer, estimate, running 2 small offset presses, doing some finishing to. I have also an eye on the graphic line : design and prepress (job done by an other guy).

Why i am working so hard ? I am a bit crazy and i love working in graphic arts....

Best regards

Pat (the frenchie)

Howdy my name is Ed I’ve been in the printing business for longer than I care to think about. I am currently working in a shop in Columbus Ohio, but I’ve been working in printing since High School
I’ve worked on Folders, Stitchers, collators, Die-cutters, Foil Stamping & Embossing on a Kluge and Folder Gluers. I also have worked on Mailing equipment and some Presses. I never gave much thought to Prepress, but then people in Prepress think enough of themselves. (just kidding)
I found this website by accident but I look forward for the chance to learn. And to share what little I know.
What I like about where I work now is they let me do some Research and Developement. Thats like payin a kid to work in a Candy Store.

Hey!,
My name is Rob and I have been working in sheet fed for close to 20 years now. i have Grown with the same company the entire time. I have worked on 40" inch Heidelbergs, 64" planeta 55"planeta, and 50" planeta. I started out as feeder operator then Press operator and now currently working as pressroom lead.
I have come to like this site everyone has been very informative and polite. 'Thank you all"
On a personal note I enjoy The Pittsburg Steelers, and The Washington Capitals, I have 2 great kids who I also enjoy watching them play Lacross and inline Hockey (southern style hockey) no ice :)

High,i'm Antonis and i work in a midsized-for the Greek standards-printshop as a printready operator.
Before that,i was doing color/image editing,and even before i was a drumscanner operator!
I got three kids,and i also like bikes,old school metal and comics!

Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself

My name is Roy Bohnen
I have been in the printing industry since the mid 70's.
Stripping, dot etching, scanning, Process and Quality Control, Research and Development, and consulting have kept me busy all these years.
I am now the Director of New Market Development for New Vision Services, which is a division of Tekgraf.

My name is Juergen Roesch
after computer science studies at a German University I somehow ended up via photography and computer graphics in the world of prepress. With this background the theories and practical uses of color management gripped me and soon I got offered a position at a digital proofing manufacturer. Always the inquisitive my positions changed and at one time even the employer so that my base office changed from NorthWest-Germany to New York, Cincinnati, Atlanta, SouthGermany and as of today pretty much in the middle of England. Still I travel the world to pick up more knowledge and share what I gathered.
I'm married, love good food (yes I know - England's the wrong place for that), music and German Diesel cars (you should try one - plenty of torque and excellent mileage)

If there's a question on inkjets, proofing, color space conversions - count me in ;-)

My name is Sam,
I draw pictures, paint and do other stuff. I have done artwork for the Ford Motor Company, Car Racing Teams, NASA, Graceland, and The Alabama Shakespeare Festival (staff). I have lived 1000 feet below the Atlantic Ocean. I am married with a 2 year old son. I am converting a mini cooper into an ice cream truck. I work for an orthopeadics company and we are starting to bring a print shop inside the factory.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back