a digital print shop in a shopping mall?

RafalWM

I'm considering setting up a digital print shop in a shopping mall (large format and offset would be transported there from our place). Do you think it's worth getting into? Any tips for other business ideas that could go well with this project? (stamps, coffee etc.)
There are no places like this in my area and I've never really been in one that's located in a mall.

seems like the rent would kill you. am i understanding correctly? you would take the orders there and then print at a different location and then customers would pick them up at the mall location?

I'm considering setting up a digital print shop in a shopping mall (large format and offset would be transported there from our place). Do you think it's worth getting into? Any tips for other business ideas that could go well with this project? (stamps, coffee etc.)
There are no places like this in my area and I've never really been in one that's located in a mall.

I think the Staples and Office Depot's of the world also lean towards customer convenience. Stores in malls often cater to impulse or 'fun' type purchases. I think the orders you recieved from that spot would probably be for unneeded business cards, posters, larger prints of photos, scanning and printing, or printing done on novelty items.

If that kind of business generates profit for you it might be a good idea. Your markup would certainly be greater there than at any other print shop without any problems.

It would also serve as a great location to promote the rest of your business via show room and the simple fact that there is a lot of traffic.

At first glance, I'd guess that your actual orders recieved would not cover the cost of operating a store front, let alone a digital press at the location, but that might not be true if you could really offer the convenience and products that mall goers want.

I think the Staples and Office Depot's of the world also lean towards customer convenience. Stores in malls often cater to impulse or 'fun' type purchases. I think the orders you recieved from that spot would probably be for unneeded business cards, posters, larger prints of photos, scanning and printing, or printing done on novelty items.If that kind of business generates profit for you it might be a good idea. Your markup would certainly be greater there than at any other print shop without any problems.
This is kind of what I was thinking. Business cards in minutes, posters, flyers, scanning done on the spot. I guess I could add fancy paper and personalized gifts to the offer.

It would also serve as a great location to promote the rest of your business via show room and the simple fact that there is a lot of traffic.
This is one of the other reasons I'm considering it. Many orders could come out later from clients that saw the shop and checked out us on the net etc.

At first glance, I'd guess that your actual orders recieved would not cover the cost of operating a store front, let alone a digital press at the location, but that might not be true if you could really offer the convenience and products that mall goers want.

This is why I'm trying to get ideas on what I could offer that would add to the digital printing.
Thanks for your input :)

seems like the rent would kill you. am i understanding correctly? you would take the orders there and then print at a different location and then customers would pick them up at the mall location?

rent would be steep. I would be printing very close to the mall, so I could easily have someone run up there with prints every hour or so if needed. One average class color unit and a b&w one could be on the spot for copying, scanning etc. High quality stuff would be done a few minutes walk away. The thing I'm worried about is will the rent + labor costs justify the work put in.

Not a bad idea. But, check into the big players agreements they have in relation to tenants occupying space near them in the same arena. They have it locked up pretty good. Past that, I could see it working out somewhat. The problem is you are gonna have a pretty hefty lease and if you shoot your prices to the moon it may not work. I recently bought a Rollem and GBC laminator from a guy who was running a small print shop inside of a flea market. Not sure how he was actually doing but it would be fair to say he got some foot traffic and it looked like he was Printing various types of products. Try like a 2 month lease and see the reaction. Not enough time to get a true feel of it but this may give you an idea of the direction you could head with it. The flea market gig failed because the owner got lazy by the way.

a two month lease isn't an option, because they only sign long term contracts there. Half a year would be great to check out the market, but that won't really be an option either. On the other hand, I can probably just change it into a clothing shop or something else if it doesn't pull through :)
wedding invitations, luxury greeting cards etc. could also bring in some revenue. I'm really thinking about this, because it could be a pretty good way to market my business.

@ RafalWM

I don't know where you are located but in N. America malls often have a big box stationer either in the mall itself or within walking distance. Those big chain shops - like "Staples" typically have an in-store printing facility. So you might want to check out the competition - or perhaps partner with such a shop.

best, gordon p

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back