Opinions on Monitors

Signalfire

The time has come to rotate out my 4 year old 21" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro with a new screen. I've been shopping around and heard mixed reviews on a few fronts. Some swear by Apple's displays while others won't go near them.

For a design environment (I have a 20" Sony Artisan for proofing), what are some recommendations on 23" to 27" screens? I've been looking at the Dell UltraSharp 24" ($700), the Apple 23" ($900) and a couple others.

As this is one of the best mental meeting grounds I've known since 2003 (well, when it was Prepress Forums), I would love to hear your opinions? MY budget would be at or under $1000.

Re: Opinions on Monitors

I've got an Apple 23" and think it does a great job. I have never used the Dell monitors but have heard good things about them also.

our color retouchers all have the 23" Apple cinema displays (we have 5).

they love em.

I've gotten all of our monitors switched over to Viewsonic VG2021m models. I was doing color corrections right out of the box and hitting pretty close. I think Viewsonic gets a dismissed because they don't cost 2 grand a piece. Check one out, you might like it.

Monkey

Have a look at the Eizo range. I talked to the prepress manager of a large magazine printer some time ago and he mentioned returning 1 in 3 of all Apple Displays because of uneven backlight illumination. The Eizo's are more expensive but have a wider color gamut and more uniform backlight.

I've looked at the Eizos in the past, but we just don't have the budget for it...

Thanks for the comment on the ViewSonic, I will check them out.

I have a 30" apple and whereas its great for page layout etc...for color work I would prefer a CRT I can move an image from one side to another and see the color shift. Dunno if this is an appe only issue (this is my first flat screen).

I think the larger you go on the apples you will have uniformity issues.

I dont have any 30s here but have seen a few with uneven backgrounds.
I only have 23's and 20's and the 20s seem to get better numbers when I do a verify calibration
using Monaco Profiler....

Ezios would be nice though......$$$$

John

Edited by: John Romano on Jan 21, 2008 12:02 PM

I am currently using a Spyder2, but haven't been too impressed with my CRT. Is there another one anyone recommends for use with an Apple LCD? Eye-One LT?

EyeOne display2 or Monaco Optix if you can still find one.
Try Chromix if you want the Monaco....I think they still have some.

Both are great products......Never really had any decent results with the Colorvision products.

John

"I have a 30" apple and whereas its great for page layout etc...for color work I would prefer a CRT I can move an image from one side to another and see the color shift. Dunno if this is an appe only issue (this is my first flat screen)."

I also have a 30" Apple flat screen display and I get the same issues...

Yea it freaked me out the first time I noticed it because I was comparing to images visually (yea I know go by the numbers) that were supposed to be identical and they looked quite a bit different until I slid one underneth the other.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back