Anyone at Print 13?

gordo

How's the show? Anything of interest? How does it compare with past shows?

G

Last edited:
Ink jet,ink jet, ink jet with this technology there presently is silence on which mills who are accepting inkjetted media for deinking. The inkjet suppliers should supply mill names who will take scrape inkjetted media.

The last show I attended was 2006. There is noticeably almost no offset presses as compared to my last show. It is quite obvious that there is belief that digital can save print. Before I would commit a large percentage of my production to digital it would be wise to check on what avenues you have for your scrap paper other than a land fill.

Ink jet,ink jet, ink jet with this technology there presently is silence on which mills who are accepting inkjetted media for deinking. The inkjet suppliers should supply mill names who will take scrape inkjetted media.

Who cares? (Sarcasm) The ink jet presswork just goes in with the consumer's other paper in the recycling bin.

Gordo

I was there today, sad, sad, sad, I've been this industry for since 1972, the first show I attended was print 74. This show has no offset presses at all, was able to get info on some consumables, but heck, could have done that without wasting time at a dull show.

Who cares? (Sarcasm) The ink jet presswork just goes in with the consumer's other paper in the recycling bin.

Gordo
Gordo you have described the problem of how the consumer unknowingly has placed the contaminated paper in the recycling bin.

Last edited:
Gotta say for us as a software vendor it's been great so far, really busy from day one. A lot of people who know what they want and are looking to automate and improve their workflows.
We launched PitStop 12 at the show which has been really well received, and also announced a strategic partnership with Monotype that has generated a lot of interest.
PitStop 12 brings cloud-based access to thousands of fonts

I attended Sunday and Monday. I believe this is my 4th show and was by far my most disappointing one. I left questioning why I came. Like he said above, inkjet, inkjet, inkjet. I'm not a pressman, we are all digital, but the inkjet's out there all push $500k or more and leaves out the majority of the shops. The Canon booth was impressive other than the fact they only showed 1 model of color laser, yet had enough space to push 1 inkjet and another conceptual inkjet. Konica Minolta had the same old same old (except the Komori INKJET collaboration). The Pitney and Neopost booths were the tiniest I can ever recall. Even most of the freebies weren't that good. I appreciated a very good conversation with EFI. If it wasn't for that, it would have been total loss minus the ride on the ferris wheel at Navy Pier.

Komori has a half-size press, and I heard that Heidelberg actually (planned to return and) pulled out at the last minute.

Big Indigo's, KM has some iGen looking thing that is probably an inkjet and was a cooperative job with Komori.

All the big digital players have loads of stuff, Oce has a wide-format that prints out a 20-foot-long map of Chicago in a few seconds (and more toner balls!)

Finishing equipment and Japan seem to be dominating this year. Trending if you will. Graphic Whizard, James Burn, etc seem to have larger booths and there are more Japanese/Chinese/etc companies than I have ever seen before outside of Chinatown.

There is a whole pavilion dedicated to photo finishing, which is good for my company, and it took me almost an hour to cover all of it :(

There is a saweeet piece of technology from a company that's like 2-3 miles up the street from me. Their name currently escapes me, but basically it's a cheap UV coater without a light that plugs in to a cold foil doohickie to do embossed somethingorother. That's what it's made to do. However, you can swap out the cold foil for either a gloss or a matte "coating", and the machine that does this has a light to dry the UV. In other words, you can go from gloss to matte UV by switching out a roll, not a chemical. If you UV offline, it's totally worth a look. I'll post the name as soon as I can find it.

Oh, and 4over has free beer.

I attended the G7 Summit on Sunday. I thought I might see you there (joking!) Inkjet presses, wide format inkjet, offline coating equipment, finishing equipment for the wide format inkjet, and workflow. Fuji's XMF is interesting, Fuji also had a number of inkjet presses on display (11,000 square feet and at least 100 sales guys hanging around.) BTW, who's Kodak?
Regards,
Todd

I was there Sunday and Monday. The show seemed no larger then a GraphExpo and only was in one convention hall. All digital, no big announcements that I saw. Same presses from 3 years ago being showed off that are still not readily in the field. CiPress, JPress, KM1, etc. I didn't even notice HP.

Frank Romano's thoughts on Print 13

Frank Romano's thoughts on Print 13

Industry pundit Frank Romano gave a talk at a regional PIA event here in Victoria BC.

Frank-4_zps65d02987.jpg

When asked about his thoughts regarding Print 13 here are a few things he noted:

"I've been to every Print show since 1968 and every GraphExpo since they started - this was the smallest Print ever taking up only a portion of the main hall."**
"It was always the place that you would go to see new technology - but there was almost no new technology at this show, none, just incremental changes."
"RIT had a bigger booth than Kodak."
"It was kind of sad."

best, gordo

** The first Print that I attended Print '97 (I think) filled up all three large Halls at McCormick Place.

Last edited:
When asked about his thoughts regarding Print 13 here are a few things he noted:

"I've been to every Print show since 1968 and every GraphExpo since they started - this was the smallest Print ever taking up only a portion of the main hall."**
"It was always the place that you would go to see new technology - but there was almost no new technology at this show, none, just incremental changes."
"RIT had a bigger booth than Kodak."
"It was kind of sad."

best, gordo

** The first Print that I attended Print '97 (I think) filled up all three large Halls at McCormick Place.

That sums up my experience.

Frank Romano and I have walked some of the same carpet over the years...I always enjoyed seeing the next generation of presses and new equipment. But this year the show had a different feel to it. I think the young generation of pressman will never understand the skill it is to run a press, the machines today do so much for the operator that pressman now don't have to know anywhere near what pressman from the 60"s or 70"s had to know.

I'm just thankful that I was able to see those shows when they were in their prime and new technologies were pouring out of the vendors. They even demonstrated technologies that would never go to market - just to show their technical capabilities. Anyone remember the "pizza setter"?

Best gordo

Drupa is still impressive...at least in size (when I was last there in 2008). Maybe venders are putting more emphasis in one global show every 4 years?

I'm just thankful that I was able to see those shows when they were in their prime and new technologies were pouring out of the vendors. They even demonstrated technologies that would never go to market - just to show their technical capabilities. Anyone remember the "pizza setter"?

Best gordo

Pizza setter. I am thinking you mean the one by Luscher. The software to do that was developed by the Luscher group in the UK. Innovative in concept but maybe not so in practice. Difficult algorithms.

I did some work with that group in the early 2000's and they really wanted to do lots of things differently. I think they were also doing the programming for the XPose CTP units and Luscher's screen printing technologies.

They were fun to work with. I wish there were people like that here in Canada.

I'm just thankful that I was able to see those shows when they were in their prime and new technologies were pouring out of the vendors. They even demonstrated technologies that would never go to market - just to show their technical capabilities. Anyone remember the "pizza setter"? Best gordo
Ah yes, the Linotype/Hell/Heidelberg "Gutenberg - Pizza Setter" Print 97, featuring thin crust ablation technology! Gluten free! Regards OT

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back