3D Printing

I'm not sure us 2D printers are going to dive into that . . IMHO it's a machine shop/prototyping type of market . . . just my 2 cents

I'm not fan of how they interjected "printing" into this technology either. However, it's still in it's infancy and I wouldn't mind expanding my 2D skills into 3D, on a personal level. Just would like to hear from others in our industry who got a little taste.

I'm not fan of how they interjected "printing" into this technology either. However, it's still in it's infancy and I wouldn't mind expanding my 2D skills into 3D, on a personal level. Just would like to hear from others in our industry who got a little taste.

been thinking about that myself - I'm into racing motorcycle F! sidecars and it looks real interesting for prototyping parts . . .maybe next year

sounds like something that's right up your alley. That's what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
I just want one so I can play the Star Trek replicator sound on a loop while the machine was 'printing'.

Guys,
Production/prototype facilities have been running 3D printers for pay for over 15 years. 'See Redeye and quickparts.com You may be a little late in the game to compete with those companies. The units are also being sold directly to the end users and the prices are dropping quickly.

Yea . . . am well aware of that I saw Leno doing it on some TV show a few years back - he could afford it. .. but for a privateer racing a F1 sidecar out of our own pockets jobbing prototyping tends to be a bit expensive. So we have just been cutting, welding, and grinding till we get something that works . . . would be better to be able to have a stronger, cleaner, looking part than that . . . . I'm not looking to compete - just get on the boat for personal use.

Just another form of ink-jet data driven printing where you layer the output on top of itself <grin>

Is the printed product intellectual property?

Just what the world needs DIY manufacturing

I'm not doing 3D printing myself, but as an industry analyst, I have written a report titled "State of 3D Printing in the Commercial Printing Industry" that includes as many implementations of 3D printing in this industry as I could find, the business models and the products produced. Here are the current business models I see being used for 3D printing in the commercial printing industry:

1. Research and development (in other words, get your feet wet and learn the technology and what it can do) – most common at this point.

2. Reframing the perception of your company in the eyes of customers – second most common.

3. Providing products to the consumer and hobbyist market (competing with existing 3D print providers)

4. Targeting the traditional 3D printing marketplace (prototypes and models, competing with existing 3D print providers)

5. Being an output-only provider (assuming a printable 3D file)

6. Creating internal cost efficiencies within your own company (one printer used its 3D printer to print replacements parts for its platesetter and saved $10,000)

7. White labeling

8. Incentives and promotional items used to drive responses to direct mail campaigns.

To me, this is the most interesting because the value of 3D printing isn't in selling the 3D printed product itself. Its using these products to drive sales of what printers really want to be doing anyway – more print. In fact, I've pointed out that in order to use 3D printing this way, you don't even have to be producing the 3D output. You could be outsourcing it. In other words, using 3D-printed dolls personalized to the recipient as a box-opener/incentive for a dimensional mail campaign to C-level executives. You outsource the production of the dolls, then print the dimensional mail, handle the mailing, and do the follow-up email campaign, as well. It's not the 3D printing you want. It's just a tool (whether produced by you or someone else) to get the rest of the multichannel marketing work.

For more info on the report, State of 3D Printing in the Commercial Printing Industry: 2014 - Heidi Tolliver-Walker But if anyone in PrintPlanet would like to purchase the report, email me directly and I'll offer you a 10% discount on the price on the website.

You are absolutely correct! 3D printing yes is still in it's infancy but it's growing fast. As far as 2D printers using the technology... the possibilities are quite extensive and are much less costly than you might think. Check, Shapeways - 3D Printing Service and Marketplace This a service bureau that not only "prints" but sells like an Etsy site.

Remember years ago the industry was all about "value added" this is another one.

Last year, we started experimenting with 3D printing. If you’re into it, you can purchase and build your own kit for a couple of hundred dollars. It’s very easy to build and only takes a few hours to produce your desired item. We have a Makerbot Replicator 2, where we work with various 3D2print filaments like nylon, plastic (ABS and PLA) and flexible rubber-like filaments.

I'm surprised the POS market hasn't got into this yet. How fantatstic it would be to have store displays with 3D elements on it. Almost a hybrid between 2D and 3D, especially as there are colour 3D machines coming into the market now.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back