Your Coffee Service at Work

D Ink Man

Curious to see what coffee service / beverage service is offered in your workplace. I have worked at a place that provided nothing at all. The low paid employees had to buy their own cheap 3 lb. can of Maxwell House, Cremora and store brand granulated sugar. This is peanuts for any company worth their salt. Give the employess some caffiene please! Jeez.

Also have worked where a company provides all the bells and whistles. They have a Keurig machine with at least a dozen choices of coffees and teas. Also Bigelow tea bags, at least 6 different varietys. Additionally, they had a special espresso machine (like Keurig) with about 12 different brands of hot shot coffees.
Now that is the way to treat employess.

Gestures like the latter go a long way for employee loyality and dedicated work efforts. Companies like the former usually suffer from employee dissatisfaction, resentment and the job being a place where people just want to get out of.

Guess which company is thriving and which one is on the edge of selling out? This should be an easy answer.

Now, how's your coffee service?

D Ink Man

We're only a two/three man shop but I get us Wawa or Chesapeake Bay Coffee Co (local coffee shop) coffee at least 3 times a week. Usually everyday. How's that for coffee service at work? The local coffee shop is piloting a delivery service that I am considering.

We have a Keurig here. Small shop of 9. Press guys never use it, so really only for the people up in prepress and front office. Indeed a small price to help make life at work a little more bearable. I personally do not drink coffee, can't stand the stuff!

Last place I worked went from supplying cheap preground tins of coffee and a Mr Coffee machine to bringing in Community Coffee and then finally buying a Keurig and supplying several flavors.

Where I work now has ~100 employees and everyone seems to have their own Keurig in their office or in a small break room near their office areas. Out in production they have several industrial drip coffee makers but not sure how they are stocked. What I do is have Amazon Fresh deliver cold brew coffee to my office once a month and I keep it in my mini-fridge.

We have a Keurig and stock 5 blends. It makes a pretty poor cup of coffee, but I do appreciate that we have it. It's definitely not good enough to drink black, but we stock sugar and cream as well :)

We were initially offered tea twice a day but one of the many bright and shining owners thought that company is going in loss so cut the tea to once a day, so I asked them to stop making tea for me so the company can benefit from the price of a cup of tea that was being spent on me.:mad:

Having had the English on your island for 150 years tends to bland down local cooking, actually it takes it out back and shoots it. BUT we do have tea, Typhoo and Lion, PG tips and Yorkshire, depending on who buys, we have a water boiler, sugar and milk, however coming from a German background I actually like lemon in my tea which makes my Maltese colleagues cringe. There is coffee too but that is some weird powdered stuff where you need to spoon heaps into your cup for a bit of taste.

There is coffee too but that is some weird powdered stuff where you need to spoon heaps into your cup for a bit of taste.

Ay, what a disgrace! To live in a Mediterranean country and not have "real" coffee. I pity you.

We have a Keurig and an espresso machine. In the middle of the desert. And we'll occasionally brew up a round of fine-powder Mid-Eastern brew if it's wanted... in a cezve or just in cups.

Coffee is one of the glues that holds our shop together.

Ay, what a disgrace! To live in a Mediterranean country and not have "real" coffee. I pity you.

We have a Keurig and an espresso machine. In the middle of the desert. And we'll occasionally brew up a round of fine-powder Mid-Eastern brew if it's wanted... in a cezve or just in cups.

Coffee is one of the glues that holds our shop together.

I blame the British.

there is a bottle of amber liquid in the bottom right drawer of my desk the boss gave me. i dont know if he knows its still here. coffee is plentiful and free also.

there is a bottle of amber liquid in the bottom right drawer of my desk the boss gave me. i dont know if he knows its still here. coffee is plentiful and free also.

WHY... is it still there? It's not a paper weight.. Is it?

I do like I do anywhere.. Do what I need to , for my own needs. One shot Kurig in office.. good enough.. Coffee is one of the Elixirs of life.. However.. It no longer wakes me up.. Actually helps me sleep sometimes. (Not at work)

We are a small shop of 8 with one breakroom that has a drip commercial coffee maker. Boss supplies the grounds, sugar, powdered creamer and half&half in frig. Full sized frig is for everyone’s use. There's a fresh pot made every morning. I'm a big coffee drinker and its a nice to have at work but I wouldn’t complain if they didn’t provide it (in my 13 years here its been on and off with free coffee). I too have worked places that catered well to their employees and places that have done nothing. Each of those workplaces still had people complaining about something. Even with free good coffee, they complained they didn’t get free pastries. I can honestly say that its never been the coffee or any of the other similar benefits that keep me as an employee. Its more about appropriate pay and the rapport between all the employees that keep me around. If I didn’t like my co-workers, or my boss, than I'd find new work. No one wants to be unhappy in their work but free coffee isn’t the answer there.

I blame the British.

Why not indeed.....everything is our fault.... but you can't blame us for that deviant habit of lemon in tea... ;).....it's all just wrong, very wrong. Black or with milk or I suppose evaporated milk but that borders on wrongness.:)

I can honestly say that its never been the coffee or any of the other similar benefits that keep me as an employee. Its more about appropriate pay and the rapport between all the employees that keep me around.

I think the coffee is just an indication of how your pay and rapport will go. If the company invests in free coffee then they probably will invest in their employees in other ways. I doubt the conversation is ever, "If we bring in coffee I bet we could stop giving raises".

I have never experienced coffee being provided by the company however I have been working with good people who always brings something to drink or nibble on at the office, I do the same also :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back