No ink required...

motormount

https://phys.org/news/2017-02-ink-required-paper.html

Probably you 've seen it too along with many other things that add to the ''printing is dead'' chain...

o.k. printing won't die, but every year less paper is printed, and i just can't help feeling troubled the way things progressing.

Even in supposed to be ''healthy'' segments of the industry like packaging for example, finding a job isn't exactly easy, and payment
is way less than the one a skilled person would get a few years earlier.

Apart from staying technically updated and informed, what would you suggest a prepress tech, or a printer should do or look into, to be

''employmentally'' safe in the near future?

Thanks in advance!

Probably you 've seen it too along with many other things that add to the ''printing is dead'' chain...

o.k. printing won't die, but every year less paper is printed, and i just can't help feeling troubled the way things progressing.

Even in supposed to be ''healthy'' segments of the industry like packaging for example, finding a job isn't exactly easy, and payment

Apart from staying technically updated and informed, what would you suggest a prepress tech, or a printer should do or look into, to be

''employmentally'' safe in the near future?

Thanks in advance!

If you want to be employmentally safe - become a plumber. Nobody questions your bill when their toilet backs up and overflows on a Sunday.
An alternative is to become a barber. $20-30 or so an hour, cash business, very low income taxes.

Income taxes differ a lot in the east/southern edges of the western civilization, but still sounds better than the options i have as a prepress manager/operator/customer and management psychological and technical support...

Thanks anyway - even though you have already given this piece of advice somewhere else recently...

Income taxes differ a lot in the east/southern edges of the western civilization, but still sounds better than the options i have as a prepress manager/operator/customer and management psychological and technical support...

Thanks anyway - even though you have already given this piece of advice somewhere else recently...

It is my best advice to any dreamy eyed person considering going into the print business as I was reminded of this week when I got a haircut and when later that week needed the services of a local plumber. Regarding income taxes...there's a good income tax reason why many tradespeople ask for cash payment and will often give a discount (e.g. no services taxes). There is a wealth building best selling book called "The Wealthy Barber" - there is no book called "The Wealthy Prepress Guy".

I've done a lot of hair-cutting using adobe's products, way before extract filter came out, but truth is real hair cutting would be more productive in economic terms, so i'll pass haircutter pro when come's out - or wait for v 3.1 :p

On the other hand, i don't find interesting haircutting or plumbering, i could do as service tech, but i'd rather like to care only how to get better at my current job instead of thinking which way to go when - or before - the place i work hit's rock bottom... :)

It's really interesting to hear you say that. My experience as an owner is the exact opposite. I am desperate for quality employees in a number of positions (prepress in particular). We pay well, have excellent benefits, a very stable company, lots of 10, 15 and 20 year employees here - so it can't be a terrible place to work. But we struggle just to get qualified applicants.

If anybody on this board wants to move to Kansas and is looking for a job, please PM me!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back