You know you're old when . . .

Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe they called those EGA displays.

pd

Comment

• Originally posted by MailGuru View Post
      First "color" monitors. Back then, the screen was black with white lettering (type). Then, along came IBM with dark background with green type. AND THEN, the "Piece De Resistance": dark background with Amber type.
      This was also when digital FM screening was introduced since they didn’t have the resolution to form halftone dots to simulate different tones.

Comment

• Originally posted by prepressdork View Post
        I believe they called those EGA displays.

pd
        We called them "CRT's" (acronym for Cathode Ray Tube) -- top of the line, leading edge technology!

Comment

• You know you're old when........you used to buy a candy bar for 5 cents, and, a coke for a dime.

Comment

We called them "CRT's" (acronym for Cathode Ray Tube) -- top of the line, leading edge technology!
            Did you ever get customers complaining about the two very thin horizontal lines at the top and bottom of a Sony Trinitron?

Comment

candy bar for 5 cents, and, a coke for a dime.
              I remember pop was 12 cents, with a 2 cent return on the bottle. Unless you drank it in store, then it was only a dime. The smaller stubby cokes were 8 cents. There was a laundromat that sold the stubby cokes from a machine. They were about as cold as you could get without being frozen. I loved when I was in the area and could buy one.
              Candy, 3 for a penny. You could pick your own candy and fill a small bag for 5 cents. Not any more. People are too paranoid of germs.

Comment

You know you're old when........you used to buy a candy bar for 5 cents, and, a coke for a dime.
                and 35 cents to get in the movie. what do get for 2 bits now?

Comment

• Originally posted by old guy View Post

and 35 cents to get in the movie. what do get for 2 bits now?
                  Or, 6 RC Cola caps to get in to the Saturday Kids Movie Matinae

Comment

As a typesetter in the early 80's, the CRT was part of my "dumb terminal" networked from "the mainframe" in the computer room. Inside one could also observe a Rapifax machine, evolving into common fax machines a few years later.

Comment

• and who remembers Magnatype, MagnaPage? I operated a Phototypositor when I first started out....dad was a linotype operator then got into cold type....damn I'm old

Comment

You know you're old when........you used to buy a candy bar for 5 cents, and, a coke for a dime.
                        You know you're REALLY old when you would have gotten 3¢ deposit back when you returned the bottle.

Comment

• Originally posted by y2kflhr View Post
                          and who remembers Magnatype, MagnaPage? I operated a Phototypositor when I first started out....dad was a linotype operator then got into cold type....damn I'm old
                          Worked on a Berthold Staromat for quite a while.

Comment

• I remember my dad authorized the Linotronic 202 for the Detroit News in the early 70's . . .. does that date me . . . . .
                            "If you think you are too small to be effective
                            you have never been in the dark with a mosquito."

Comment

• I was printing in the 80's before Quark. Still fumbling through it!

Comment

• I started out in the late 80's doing darkroom work and stripping. Spent many years doing paste-up and cutting rubylith. On the design side, years of marker comps and Letraset type (and hand lettering when I couldn't get the point size needed). I miss those days sometimes, computers have made things easier but it was a lot more fun back then!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBA
                                Standard FinishingDuploAleyantCanonGraph Expo4 PeesLabelexpoKBAKBA4OverSmartsoft (Presswise)

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5089 users online. 94 members and 4995 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                                X