You know you're old when . . .

Chromalin proofs (mid 80's) - or going back even further (late 60's to mid 7o's) - Ozalid proofs anyone?
Or typescales and copyfitting tables . . .

Last edited:
Oh heavens yes, I remember. I'm glad most of it is just a memory. No more working until 3 a.m. to get the newspaper ready to go to press! But I do miss the smell of ink and developer.

If you can remember hand developing a 3M "R" plate with the red lacquer . . . Oh it smelled so good . . . .

Yeah. Smelled like red licorice. And PMT's and carbon arc plate burners. The darkroom got sweltering hot from the film processor. Me & a bindery girl would sometimes get together in there. We were having a thing outside of work. But I digress.

You know you're old when.........you still believe that cell phones are for the express purpose of making a phone call, receiving a phone call, and retrieving a voice mail message.

we had a job returned about a week ago because the embossing they wanted "showed thru on the back"

reminds me of a job where the "designer" had this fancy die cut pattern on the front and then a poem on the back of the sheet . . . she was very surprised when we pointed out that about 50% of the poem would be missing . . .

Last edited:
when you can remember opening the new tube of rubylith and enjoying the smell . . . .

OMG!!! thank you!! I needed a laugh today!

No granted I started printing in my HS print shop so of course the equipment was out of date. But I remember doing my typsetting on Greyscreen macs with Pagemaker and saving my work on the external Floppy drive. printing out what I needed on a dot matrix printer. putting together my own blue line paste ups. cutting out the certain graphic off the sheet of stock graphics and hoping it was scaled to the right size so I didn't have to hand draw with the felt pen. Shooting and developing my own negs, then stripping them onto layout sheets (those damn footballs were SO important!) and burning my and developing my own plates. I ran an AB Dick 360. and if it was an important job, I got to use the "fancy" 9810. We also did our own bindery and finishing with a table clamped saddle stitcher and hand crank guillotine cutter with hand operated blade that scared the &(*$@& out of me every time I used it.

Oh yeah... and this is what I thought a "Graphics" job was.... ah to be young an naive again!!

---- added

I forgot!! the neg developing also required mixing my pans correctly, and spending extended periods in the stuffy humid dark room hoping like hell that I had the exposure on the camera right so I didn't have to start all over.

Last edited:
How about the smell of hot wax from a dripping waxer? Or drawing lines on pasteups with Rapidographs and trying to keep them from clogging up?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back