You know you're old when . . .

Talking about being OLD in printing Industry, I was walking to McCormick place in 1980 when traffic was jammed to road leading to the printing expo - so we got out of Bus and started walking on that chilly morning - few blocks walk and I saw RRDONNELY Building and on the ledge were lined-up quite many pigeons and I figured them to printers in their last life! Now that's really really OLD>>

When you walk into a customers shop and they have a Diacomp, a Staromat and a Diatype in a little museum and you think: "Hey I know how to use that stuff!"

Yep. The old horizontal cameras. And the darkroom that stank from the chemicals. Tray developed for a long time, then eventually got a film processor.

Or tell the 23-old You've just upgraded from a LocalTalk based network with speeds approx 33 kilobytes p/s to 10Gb/s ;>

When surfing the web, meant using Gopher, Telnet, and newsgroups. You had to know how to type, and to see a photo, meant downloading a compressed file. Seeing a photo on the screen while surfing...that will never happen. Why would you want that, it makes things way too slow. Let's not forget Ragemaker (Pagemaker) 4.0 on a huge 9" SE/30 green screen, designing 11"x17" full color flyers. Ahhhh, the good ol' days.

Any one else use Cricket Draw and Ready Set Go? How about Set and Send?

Last edited:
...or when you find yourself explaining that we actually shot CMYK Color Separation negatives in darkrooms. Namely, using Panchromatic film, operating a large two room Process Camera, using RGB Tricolor Gelatine Filters: Wratten numbers #25, #61 and #47B respectively...

Last edited:
Yup - university programming on punch cards. The university had so much data storage that they rented out space for large local businesses. They had so much storage - "more than you will ever need". They had a limitless 16 gig of memory". PS - and whenever you told someone about this, you always would have to stop and explain how much a gig was. Most knew kilo and some had heard of meg, but gig!?!
Oh, and when they upgraded their mainframe the local news came to witness it. But just showing a box wasn't interesting. So they had one guy open the back of the tape drive and manually had it switch back/forth/fast/slow...that's what they aired.

I remember the combination of punch cards (tape) and hot type . . . the Detroit News went automation heavy when they introduced "typewriters"" that would punch tape and then they would carry it over to the linotypes and feed the tapes in and the machine would just start spitting out slugs for the story . . . really scary now that I think back - but it was pretty cool back then . . .

Print 74 in Chicago. Heidelberg had an entire floor full of equipment...foil...diecut etc and produced a whole book start to finish. It was called Ametrica to welcome the USA to the metric system. Very impressive demonstration. As far as the metric system, how'd that work out?

Print 74 in Chicago. Heidelberg had an entire floor full of equipment...foil...diecut etc and produced a whole book start to finish. It was called Ametrica to welcome the USA to the metric system. Very impressive demonstration. As far as the metric system, how'd that work out?

The metric system now has about as large a footprint in the US as Heidelberg now has at Print. That being said there is a bit of highway in the US that's metric: http://gawker.com/arizona-is-home-to-americas-last-metric-system-only-hig-1643558996

So that makes only two other countries besides the US that haven't gone metric: Myanmar and Liberia. LOL

My first memory of a computer was 2.4 ghz processor and 256 mb of ram, with a 128 mb graphics card, and we had to carry the thing 10 miles uphill to school, both ways.

My first computer was the Laser 128 (Made by VTEC). It was an Apple //c clone.
1.02Mhz processor and 125K of RAM. 5.25" floppy drive.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back