You know you're old when . . .

My first computer was the Laser 128 (Made by VTEC). It was an Apple //c clone.
1.02Mhz processor and 125K of RAM. 5.25" floppy drive.

Talking about computers . . . back in the early 70's I worked on an HP2000 (I think) but I do remember that it had a 1 Meg hard drive that measured about 15 inches around and 10 inches tall and had its own air conditioning vent blowing on it from above . . . it ram the mailroom for the Detroit News - nothing but what would be considered a mailing list today . . . but back then it was bleeding edge, state of the art . . .. nothing but assembly language back then . . . command line, low level machine language . . . after that it was a trash 80 with a cassette tabe for the memory . . . those were the days!!!

First "color" monitors. Back then, the screen was black with white lettering (type). Then, along came IBM with dark background with green type. AND THEN, the "Piece De Resistance": dark background with Amber type.

First "color" monitors. Back then, the screen was black with white lettering (type). Then, along came IBM with dark background with green type. AND THEN, the "Piece De Resistance": dark background with Amber type.

This was also when digital FM screening was introduced since they didn’t have the resolution to form halftone dots to simulate different tones.

candy bar for 5 cents, and, a coke for a dime.

I remember pop was 12 cents, with a 2 cent return on the bottle. Unless you drank it in store, then it was only a dime. The smaller stubby cokes were 8 cents. There was a laundromat that sold the stubby cokes from a machine. They were about as cold as you could get without being frozen. I loved when I was in the area and could buy one.
Candy, 3 for a penny. You could pick your own candy and fill a small bag for 5 cents. Not any more. People are too paranoid of germs.

We called them "CRT's" (acronym for Cathode Ray Tube) -- top of the line, leading edge technology! :)

As a typesetter in the early 80's, the CRT was part of my "dumb terminal" networked from "the mainframe" in the computer room. Inside one could also observe a Rapifax machine, evolving into common fax machines a few years later.

and who remembers Magnatype, MagnaPage? I operated a Phototypositor when I first started out....dad was a linotype operator then got into cold type....damn I'm old

I remember my dad authorized the Linotronic 202 for the Detroit News in the early 70's . . .. does that date me . . . . .

I started out in the late 80's doing darkroom work and stripping. Spent many years doing paste-up and cutting rubylith. On the design side, years of marker comps and Letraset type (and hand lettering when I couldn't get the point size needed). I miss those days sometimes, computers have made things easier but it was a lot more fun back then!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back