Happy or Pleased?

D Ink Man

If you had a choice within your inner self, to nothing in particular, would you rather be happy or pleased.

I will comment first and say I will choose 'Pleased". 'Pleased' is a much more controlled state of being in which it can be enjoyed by oneself without the possible intrusion from other people that could lead to ill feelings. Human nature can cause emotions such as awe or jealousy to be brought forward in people who are somewhat weak in nature.

As far as 'Happy' this condition mostly can be tolerated better by others. The sub conscious of humans will oft times shrug off this 'Happy' condition to someone who may be unknowing, naïve, or perhaps lacking mental stability or reality. And that's OK. 'Happy' is still a good thing for an individual to think they are in. Others will probably care less or ones without savvy could even resent it.

To be 'Pleased' is my choice between the two, that is just me.

Please feel free to comment, I hope so, and don't worry, BE HAPPY! You know the song.

D Ink Man

PLN, I am sorry you are doubting and respond to the post in this manner.

Some people never find happiness and you just cannot please them.

That is the reality of far too many.

Even Ebenezer Scrooge finally saw the light..

Best Wishes

D

Dictionaries typically describe being pleased as feeling pleasurable satisfaction over something by which you measure your self-worth and/or about an action that has taken place. (e.g. “i’m pleased with the performance of my child at the high school concert.”)

They key thing is that there is a “something” outside of you that results in the feeling of being pleased.

Happiness, on the other hand, is the way we relate to our lives. It isn’t the expression of happy chemicals floating in our brains (as I think you hinted at). It isn’t a “something” outside of yourself. It comes from the willingness to face ourselves even through some of our most painful experiences. There is nothing outside of ourselves that can cultivate true happiness. True happiness is a result of one's connection to their own truth.

It is why happiness is core to the four traditional Buddhist immeasurables and the statement "May all beings be happy" is found in most Buddhist writings.

Last edited:
I am very pleased with that Gordo, do not agree 100%, but I am pleased you took the time to write that. It is a good writing overall. Thank you for taking the time to interject.

D

I think I'll choose "Happy" over "Pleased".

As Gordo suggests, being "pleased" typically, is dependent upon how you feel about something, or the result of some event that is outside your realm of control. "I'm pleased that the job turned out as well as it did. I'm pleased that our 4th quarter profits are up. I'm pleased the customer decided to stay with us, etc."

Happiness, on the other hand, is something internal. There are not too many things in this world that we have full control over. As we get older, you realize that many things (good things, as well as bad things) are going to happen to you that may change your path or outlook on life that we have no choice over. However, I do have a choice with regard to my happiness. When I wake up every morning I can "choose" to be happy, or unhappy. It's completely MY choice, and, nobody else's. It is not dependent on some outside set of events. Even if those outside events are adverse, I still have the choice to be happy or unhappy. I choose to be happy.

Mail Guru excellent response and you have opened my eyes and thought to wonderful perspective. I like it.

It makes me very happy, which is quite ironic and humorous, since your response did this to me.

Being pleased and happy are two somewhat different moods or mindsets and it is possible to experience them both simultaneously. It is a good feeing. Joy to all!

D

Have you been on some new medication lately?

I think this question needs to be taken seriously.

In the meantime here are some familiar songs you might like to consider:

Oh Pleasing Day

Plesant Birthday To Me

If It Makes You Pleased

Plesant Christmas (War Is Over)

Get Plesant

I Could Be Pleasing

Shiny Plesant People

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back