How do you present yourself...?

I have a couple big meetings with some bosses coming up. Question is: how do you all present yourself? When faced in a situation with superiority do you 'change' yourself to mold that situation? Or do you stay the same? Just wondering if theres anything I can work on so that when I go and meet the bosses and present my points I can feel confident. Maybe all you need is confidence? Let me know what you all think !!

It really depends on the nature of the meeting. Are you vying for a promotion? Are you up for a raise? Are you trying to sell them on organizational, equipment, or software changes? Is it just a meet and greet so the bosses know who you are?

Generally, I've learned over the years, (I'm an old guy) to just stay true to yourself and who you are. After all, there are many out there who are "brown-nosing" to get to the top, BUT, there is only ONE you. Show them why it's in THEIR best interest to listen to you. Know your material inside out, upside down and sideways. :)

You can alter your approach and still be true to "yourself". Who you are with a bunch of friends at the bar might be different to who you are with your daughter/mom whomever similar. I don't think that means you are being unfaithful to your persona. I adapt to the situation, changing your approach isn't the same as changing your morals or steadfast beliefs.

I reckon it depends on how much confidence you have in yourself. At the start of my career I was rather intimidated. It took awhile but gradually over the years I figured out that I often had greater knowledge than the 'bosses'. From there I progressed to saying my piece. This mainly came about because I saw other employees whining day in & day out about damn near everything but when asked by the bosses/owner to bring up any gripes or suggestions you wouldn't hear a peep out of these assholes. I decided not to be a hypocrite.
My bosses liked this and knew they could come to me for a straight answer. It also helped put me on level footing with them. To me, it's just something you've gotta do if you want to maintain your dignity. Also a major reason why I've worked for myself the past 12 years or so.
But if your going to criticize you'd better make certain you can cover your own self and keep up high standards. That in itself can be stressful because you're your own greatest critic.
I think I strayed a bit. I pretty much agree with Mail Guru.

I made you a little sign to carry into the meeting

Attachments

• wisdom.jpg
    wisdom.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 223
Be yourself firstly, listen sincerely and only then will you know what to add to the fray.
;)

I agree with D. One of the hardest things I've had to learn how to do is to LISTEN. In my early years, I was so busy trying to make sure my knowledge and expertise were on display that I oft times missed the mark, or, advised poorly because I did not take the time to listen, digest, and ponder before opening my mouth. Blame it on youth. Not only will you advise more accurately, but, you will be perceived as a logical expert in your field.

Be yourself, anything else is a complete falsehood (lie) and will easliy be read by the intelligent elitists.

Note: Not all, in fact many elitists are not intelligent. You have to be intelligent enough to identify the true ones with wisdom. After that, being yourself will be paramount in any presentation to the wise one(s'). D

Definitely agree with you. Been thinking about this for a while. I get progressively nervous as each day goes by sadly. BUT being confident in myself and in my plans are what's gonna make me successful. I even went to http://www.josbank.com/suits to buy myself a better suit so I can feel more confident LOL. Appreciate your wisdom

Be yourself, anything else is a complete falsehood (lie) and will easliy be read by the intelligent elitists.

Note: Not all, in fact many elitists are not intelligent. You have to be intelligent enough to identify the true ones with wisdom. After that, being yourself will be paramount in any presentation to the wise one(s'). D

Good job and realization Ricki. Remember, a chimpanzee can wear a suit. You got it now! I like that.

D Ink Man

Meeting with a CEO about implementing my bussiness' game plan to other locations nationwide.

That helps. It sounds like it's their plan and not yours.

IMO, the key things to concentrate on are the economics and economic impacts of implementing the business' game plan. Any issues you have need to be translated into economic arguments. Money is objective - profits are the point of business plans - and arguments in that context can be supported and discussed in a quantitative manner. i.e. "Boss, if we implement the game plan as currently defined will result in loss of $xxxx." Feelings, are fuzzy and will not carry much weight, if any. I.e. ""Boss, if we implement the game plan as currently defined the employees will be upset."

If your Boss is interested in your input his/her will ignore any nervousness or difficulty in articulating your position. If your Boss is not interested in your input then your presentation style won't make any difference.

It is a rare boss that is interested in any input from mothers, unless it benefits them without upsetting any of the upper rung apple carts above them. Good, humanitarian elitists are as rare as hen's teeth in my experience. They worry about the profit and dollar, sure; as long as it ends up in their pocket; as much as possible. Truth!

D

Meeting with a CEO about implementing my bussiness' game plan to other locations nationwide.

Ok, now we have something to go on. I'm going to make some assumptions here that may/may not be on mark.

(1) You are employed by a company that has several operations nationwide.
(2) Through ingenuity and creative thinking, your particular operation has figured out a way to be more profitable than the others. Good for you!
(3) Your efforts and results has caught the attention of upper level executives.
(4) Those upper level executives want to meet with you in hopes of rolling out your system (business game plan) to the other locations.

Now, if points 1 through 4 above are correct, then here are a few considerations:

(1) Congratulations! Be at ease. No need to be nervous, you are not in a situation where you have to "sell" them on anything. Your results speak for themselves.
(2) Is your game plan "location-specific"? Will it work just as successfully in Ohio as it is working in California?
(3) If the other locations start using your game plan, will it negatively impact your own operation competitively?
(4) This may sound a little selfish, but, what's in it for you? A move up the corporate ladder with more income? An "atta-boy" pat on the back? Additional income to your own operation via royalties or percentage of the additional revenue?
(5) If they decide to proceed with the national roll-out of the game plan, how will it be implemented? Many good ideas fail, not because the game plan was faulty, but, because it wasn't implemented correctly. Will you be required to travel to the other locations to supervise or oversee the implementation? If so, how will you be compensated for that?

In any event, RELAX - no need to be on edge. Sounds like you've got the world on a string. You've already proven yourself. Now the only question is what do YOU want out of the deal.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back