a grave error

keith1

Wasn't sure where to post this. Under the 'Education' heading might be more appropriate.
I refuse to touch wedding invitations. Or any similar home crafty type project someone may have. However, in a moment of weakness I agreed to help out a regular customer who's daughter is getting married. I'm going to keep this really brief and just paste the daughters last email to me. I won't get into the fact that I've already been burdened by this project for nearly 3 weeks. I've tried putting together something tasteful, reasonably artistic and functional. They'll have none of that. As of now they plan to put into the mail a less than business card size piece (2 x 3.25) and mail it in a coin envelope. Who the F mails something that small?!

A little while ago she sent me a tip about file formats, as follows:

"I am indeed referring to the word document I sent you - opening it as a pdf distorts it so it would be better to open it up on word (there's a sentence at the bottom of the info page for referring to the wedding website)."

Guess I'll toss Acrobat in favour of Word.
I post this as a warning and reminder to all who read this. Avoid wedding invitations and the like at all costs!!!!!

Oh; did I mention this isn't even the wedding invitation yet? It's the 'Save The Date' card. Help me

Keith

Must be very close friends to even entertain the idea. Customers = Friends. The pain and sacrifice will pay off exponentially if you indulge. Sometimes you have to do what your instinct and knowledge tell you not to do. Everything is not about the ever loving dollar. Good Samaritans will always get their payout, It is just about a matter of TIME. D

Get a wedding book from Carlson Craft or someone else. The price is worth it.

The one-time designer is as welcome as a leg-humping dog in most printshops.

Get a wedding book from Carlson Craft or someone else. The price is worth it.

The one-time designer is as welcome as a leg-humping dog in most printshops.

A wedding book is the last thing I want. I can guarantee this is my last wedding job. A leg humping dog would be welcome. As a matter of fact maybe me & my dog will go retire in a cave somewhere.

No good deed goes unpunished...................

BTW, in re: "coin envelope" - in order for the piece to be "mail-able", it must be at least 3 1/2" in height by 5" in length. That eliminates most "coin envelopes" except a #7 coin envelope which is 3 1/2 x 6 1/2.

Last edited:
No good deed goes unpunished...................

BTW, in re: "coin envelope" - in order for the piece to be "mail-able", it must be at least 3 1/2" in height by 5" in length. That eliminates most "coin envelopes" except a #7 coin envelope which is 3 1/2 x 6 1/2.

Thanks for this. I was aware of size restrictions. I have pointed this out to them and sent them the relevant URL from the Canada Post web site, although by this time I was pretty much beyond caring and only brought it up to them so I wouldn't be remiss in my duties. To me, regardless of postal regulations, it's astoundingly stupid to want to mail something so small in the first place. It's a no brainer than many will get lost in the system.
Anyways; their response was that most of these 'save the date' pieces will be sent to people in the UK where there are no such size restrictions.
I have my doubts about that (UK size restrictions), but as mentioned, I'm beyond caring. To be truthful, there's a part of me that hopes the post office rejects them. And that part of me is growing.
Incidentally, the envelopes they're buying (I'm not supplying them) are 2.25" x 3.5". Barely room for an address & stamp. They originally wanted their card the same size until I told them the same size wouldn't slip into the envelope very well (another no brainer, I though).
Oh yeah; as of this post, the cards will also be die cut (mitered corners) and drilled with brass eyelet and strung, to make it look like a luggage tag.
What happens when a wealthy daughter is sent overseas to university and meets the love of her life.

Through my printing career I've tried to avoid wedding packages like the plague.
The few that I have been involved with have probably taken about 10 years off my life from the stress.

Through my printing career I've tried to avoid wedding packages like the plague.
The few that I have been involved with have probably taken about 10 years off my life from the stress.

My stock answer: "I'm sorry, but, we don't do that. You might want to call this company (<give the name, phone# and contact info of your most hated competitor>). I'm sure they will be able to help you." :) LOL

Wellllllll . .. my brother (against my advice) sometimes takes these jobs . . I just make sure that they are quoted at about 4 times what an inflated amount would be to produce the job . . . if they are willing to pay that freight we will just start over from what they bring in and do the job right.

Shit, you guys are wimps. I've done 2 color and foil stamped invites on crazy cotton or petallic paper, with variable data envelopes that range into $1400, usually 3-4 a season and a bunch that are ~$700. And yes, you have to charge more than any normal job because the administrative costs, relative to any other job, are much much higher. And I've seen other businesses (wedding organizers, not printers) people getting away with $40 per invite at 350 invites. ~40 pt letterpress with foil, hand water color, painted edges and calligraphy.

Good to know Priceline. We'll send you all our referrals and let you deal with these people.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Evidence herewith.

Any design ideas for a gay wedding? Just price it in. :)

D

Keith, I wouldn't let this one Bridezilla ruin it for you. Over the years, I've been very cautious when someone asks if we do wedding invitation out of fear of the Bridezilla. I never advertise that we do, only for friends, family, and current customers. But I still try to prequalify them to be sure they are cool and not a Bridezilla. In fact, some of the coolest projects I've done were wedding invitations. The first one I ever did was a self mailing single piece with a score and a perf printed on 80lb Mohawk Kraft. The invitation got mailed and the recipient would tear off the RSVP card and mail it back. Another fun project was for a wedding with a Las Vegas theme. For the table cards (showing where each guest sat) were printed to look like a deck of cards. Using variable data, we printed each guests name and an image of a poker chip was variably imaged to represent their food choice (green chip for vegetarian dish, yellow chip for chicken, etc). And one last one I remember, both the bride and the groom liked to fish so all the stationary had a fish theme. Oh, and another invitation I did, the BRIDE liked to hunt so we printed invitations with Mossy Oak camo colors and patterns.

Keith

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back