Discussion - Harvey - What is your plan?

MailGuru

Wasn't sure where to post this, so, I'm putting it in the Lounge.

In wake of the massive destruction in the SE Texas & Louisiana areas, along with my sincere sympathy and condolences for the loss of life and property, I couldn't help but think about how many print related businesses may have had to cease operations. How many have lost employees, equipment, and possibly the actual facility itself.

For many of us, we have a few high-profile clients who depend on our ability to produce, to keep their own supply-chains moving with their own high-profile clients. So much so, that, an integral part of the Services Contract with those clients must include a "Business Continuity Plan" to insure a minimal down time and return to normal production status.

We have measures in place to access our software, programs, mailing lists and databases via cloud backup from any computer from any location, so, that part is handled. But, what good is that if our digital presses and bindery equipment are not operational? We still can't produce.

I'm curious how other shops handle this dilemma? Do some of you have a reciprocating arrangement with another print shop not in your area where you back each other up? Do you just work on getting your own shop back up as quickly as possible? Does your business own other locations not in the affected area? Do you just figure that if the building and it's contents are destroyed, we're out of business and it is no longer my concern?

Just wondering --

We have an insurance client that requires us to be able to produce at another location. It's about 1.5 hours away, and we have to test print once a year.
Aside from that, we could most likely broker most of our printing until we were back up and running. There's a lot of printers in the surrounding area that we have good relationships with.

I didn't work here when it happened, but our old location was in a flood zone and I guess it flooded pretty bad back in '05. Every employee just came in and was on clean up duty until the shop was ready to re-open. Thankfully our new location is out of the flood zone, and it's already survived a 6.1 earthquake, so hopefully we never have to deal with anything too serious.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back