This is why we're doomed

gordo

Shallots.jpg

Well one reason anyway - excessive and often redundant plastic packaging. I don't know where the blame lies - the graphic designer, the manufacturer, the printer, the consumer, or?

There are more examples here: https://www.instagram.com/pointless_packaging/ view and weep.
The examples seem to be mostly from the UK. I was shocked by the amount that I saw when I visited the Japans. Do you see this happening where you are?

I'd say shipping packaging is out of control too - I get boxes with parts from Xerox & it will be a tiny little part in a big giant box that's stuffed full of those plastic air pillows.
Amazon is also horrible at picking appropriate size boxes. I'd love to see an analysis on how much resources those oversize boxes cost vs shipping a small box that's closer to the item size.

Well then, maybe this little story can bring some hope.
https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/scie...tic-pollution/

Assuming it comes to market, has no surprise negative consequences, and actually gets used. In a way this enforces the problem. It’s based on the notion that you can do whatever you want because someone will come up with a fix. Eat as much sugar as you want - we’ll develope a pill for your resulting diabetes, and another one for your obesity. And dentists will simply develop better cavity drill and fill procedures.

Last edited:
I'd say shipping packaging is out of control too - I get boxes with parts from Xerox & it will be a tiny little part in a big giant box that's stuffed full of those plastic air pillows.
Amazon is also horrible at picking appropriate size boxes. I'd love to see an analysis on how much resources those oversize boxes cost vs shipping a small box that's closer to the item size.

Fun fact: sometimes the reason you get oversized boxes from online retailers is because they have shipping software whose goal is to most efficiently pack a delivery truck. Sometimes small things need to be put into a big box in order to better support the overall structure packed into the truck.

Fun fact: sometimes the reason you get oversized boxes from online retailers is because they have shipping software whose goal is to most efficiently pack a delivery truck. Sometimes small things need to be put into a big box in order to better support the overall structure packed into the truck.

That, and if you saw how FedEx/UPS automation worked you'd appreciate the overpacking. When I worked at Kinko's they told us we needed to pack items to be able to drop from 6 feet up without being damaged.

That, and if you saw how FedEx/UPS automation worked you'd appreciate the overpacking. When I worked at Kinko's they told us we needed to pack items to be able to drop from 6 feet up without being damaged.

Sometimes. But when I get one empty plastic waste-developer bottle packed in a box that could easily fit 10 of them, surrounded by plastic air pillows, it makes me really want to know who's in charge of shipping at Xerox.

The material (packaging) should be banned from the face of the earth.

It tis an environmental nightmare.

We are on the path of Dinosaurs additionally.

D

Recycle that crap whenever possible and complain when it's something that can't recycle

My community is in crisis. There’s a vocal group wanting to ban “single use” plastic grocery bags. Currently the grocery store sells the plastic grocery bags for 5 cents and the paper grocery bags for 10 cents - which encourages people to opt for plastic. Go figure. BTW everyone seems to ignore the fact that the plastic bags can be recycled.

I questioned the term “single use” plastic grocery bags since I felt that created a bias.
IMHO they aren’t single use since people use them for under counter kitchen waste bins and for picking up their pet’s dropping among other uses. So, those multi use bags would have to be replaced by commercially sold plastic waste bags. So the net effect of banning the plastc grocery bags would be an increase in the number of plastic bags used as well as increased sakes/profits for the grocery store.

I got blank stares.

Currently the grocery store sells the plastic grocery bags for 5 cents and the paper grocery bags for 10 cents. . . .

Ontario has been charging 5 cents for a few years. It's always been a sore spot for me. The grocery chains must have done cartwheels when that piece of legislation passed. I've no doubt that most consumers actually think the bags cost this much. Stores say whatever they make after 'administration' goes to charity. Wouldn't you love to know what they claim to be 'administrative'?! Must be a gold mine for the big players (Loblaws, Sobey's).
A lot of independent stores charge now too. You know their profit doesn't find it's way to any charity.

I think the choice of paper bags might have been mentioned at some point. You won't find paper in any of the stores now.
In fairness; the big stores did give away large carry bags for a good while after the 5 cents was instituted. They cost about $1.00 now. I have several from different sources. Seldom remember to bring them, especially when it's a spur of the moment stop on the way home.

In fairness; the big stores did give away large carry bags for a good while after the 5 cents was instituted. They cost about $1.00 now. I have several from different sources. Seldom remember to bring them, especially when it's a spur of the moment stop on the way home.

Interestingly, unlike the “single use” plastic bags, those bags that they sell usually can’t be recycled.
DOOM!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back