Sending Proofs

keith1

I have a little disclaimer signature that is used when I send a proof (always PDF) to people:

When receiving a file or proof, please do not view it on a tablet or phone. PDF files may not display correctly in web browsers - use Acrobat: https://get.adobe.com/reader/

In this particular instance the proof was for artwork - real artwork, a painting reproduction - that is 24" x 36". For convenience, I reduced to 1/2 scale, 12 x 18.

Had to chuckle (& shake my head) when the response came as follows:

"They look great. My tablet is almost 12 inches. It's a iPad Pro."

Oh! a 12" iPad Pro. My apologies.

I have a little disclaimer signature that is used when I send a proof (always PDF) to people:

When receiving a file or proof, please do not view it on a tablet or phone. PDF files may not display correctly in web browsers - use Acrobat: https://get.adobe.com/reader/

In this particular instance the proof was for artwork - real artwork, a painting reproduction - that is 24" x 36". For convenience, I reduced to 1/2 scale, 12 x 18.

Had to chuckle (& shake my head) when the response came as follows:

"They look great. My tablet is almost 12 inches. It's a iPad Pro."

Oh! a 12" iPad Pro. My apologies.

Confusing directions.

I have Acrobat Reader on my iPad so, like you say, I'll use that to view the proof and not use a browser.

You also need to be clear on what is being proofed.

Since it's for a painting reproduction then I assume it's for color? Then it doesn't matter what method (tab, phone, computer, acrobat, browser, etc.) is being used to view the proof, you have no idea what color your client is seeing. So they are not in a position to validate the proof.

Then it doesn't matter what method (tab, phone, computer, acrobat, browser, etc.)

In the past I've had problems with people looking at proofs on small screens - phones & tablets. They've told me they're missing part of the image when in fact I knew it was there. Then it came out that they were viewing on a phone, other times a tablet and this is why I added the caution as a signature when I send proofs.

The only reason I posted (in The Lounge) is because it struck me as funny. The way this woman came across to me is; ' I don't need to use a laptop or desktop because I have an iPad Pro and an almost 12" screen".
Like her iPad Pro was the be all to end all.

I'm sure things have improved with phones & tablets since I added the caution. But I'll bet anything she didn't even enlarge to examine various aspects of the proof and I'd bet the same for most clients. So they're proofing what's generally letter size at minimum (usually larger) on a screen that's maybe 4" - 10" or so. Not good.

I didn't post for technical reasons. Just shared what I thought was funny. Maybe it wasn't funny :(

In the past I've had problems with people looking at proofs on small screens - phones & tablets. They've told me they're missing part of the image when in fact I knew it was there. Then it came out that they were viewing on a phone, other times a tablet and this is why I added the caution as a signature when I send proofs.

The only reason I posted (in The Lounge) is because it struck me as funny. The way this woman came across to me is; ' I don't need to use a laptop or desktop because I have an iPad Pro and an almost 12" screen".
Like her iPad Pro was the be all to end all.

I'm sure things have improved with phones & tablets since I added the caution. But I'll bet anything she didn't even enlarge to examine various aspects of the proof and I'd bet the same for most clients. So they're proofing what's generally letter size at minimum (usually larger) on a screen that's maybe 4" - 10" or so. Not good.

I didn't post for technical reasons. Just shared what I thought was funny. Maybe it wasn't funny :(

It’s not funny. Everything to do with customers is sad. ;-p
I misunderstood your post. My apologies.

It’s not funny. Everything to do with customers is sad. ;-p

No argument there. Being well into semi retirement I've begun the most pleasurable job of whittling out the customers I don't particularly want for whatever reason.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back