U.S. Flushing away Canada's old boreal forests

gordo

The U.S. consumes more toilet paper than any other country, almost three rolls per person each week. Compounding the environmental concerns is that this excessive tissue usage is wiping out Canada’s old boreal forests - the source of the trees that provide the virgin pulp used in toilet paper. In addition, the tissue is flushed down the toilet - without a recycling diversion.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...nadas-forests-flushing-away-the-future-report

Maybe if manufacturers stopped cutting back the size of the rolls people could use less. I think rolls are about .75" more narrow than they used to be, so people need more to accomplish the same job. Costco brand (Kirkland) is the only one I'm aware of (in Canada) that still sells the original width.
Notice how I avoided mention of the size of the assholes.
Alternatively, a wet sponge can be reused. Some sponges even have a grittier side to satisfy those accustomed to single ply jailhouse brand toilet paper. May not be the best in a public washroom setting though.

At the end of the day it´s the Canadians who are cutting down the trees with dollar-signs in thier eyes and selling them to America.
Americans will be Americans, you can´t stop that from happening but in the end Malthus will put an end to it long before the last tree is dead.

Reactions: DYP
Americans used to use almost three cobs per person, per week...

corn.jpg

Old Granddad use to use old Sears & Roebuck catalogs. It served well in the outhouses of yesterday. Cannot revert to that anymore because there is no printing. Oh well.

D

Americans are ingenious. Once we run out of old growth Canadian forests, I'm sure we'll figure out another way to keep our butts clean.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back