What does it say?

MailGuru

For those of you in the States that print and mail using the Postal Service:

I just received a a "Save The Date" Post Card from the USPS about an up-coming PCC (Postal Customer's Council) event in September.

The post card was 9 x 12 (Flat Size) 4-color, complete with a Presorted First Class USPS Government Permit Indicia. The piece, as expected,
was laid out properly and in compliance with all USPS postal regulations as to address location, flat size, indicia placement, etc.

A very good looking mail piece.

I received the piece as a PDF attachment to an email to my email address.

I wonder, what does it say about the future of printed direct mail, and, the USPS in general, when they won't even use their own services to distribute a printed post card?

I think it says that sending a physical STD card doesn't produce enough attendance to justify the cost. Just because something can be mailed, doesn't mean it should be mailed - even for USPS.

I think it says that sending a physical STD card doesn't produce enough attendance to justify the cost. Just because something can be mailed, doesn't mean it should be mailed - even for USPS.

Possible........but......then......It's being mailed on a USPS Government Permit, there is no (postage) cost.

Possible........but......then......It's being mailed on a USPS Government Permit, there is no (postage) cost.

I agree that USPS does not pay postage to itself, but that doesn't mean it's free. It still costs money to produce the piece and to distribute it. Shouldn't we be giving USPS kudos for reducing operating expenses? STD cards are a pointless waste.

I agree that USPS does not pay postage to itself, but that doesn't mean it's free. It still costs money to produce the piece and to distribute it. Shouldn't we be giving USPS kudos for reducing operating expenses? STD cards are a pointless waste.

You're missing the point..........

Cost aside, even in your own company, if you, yourself, do not believe in the product, or service, that you sell, or provide............ how do you expect to convince others to buy your product, or procure your services?

You're missing the point..........

No, you are making a faulty generalization.

Just because USPS doesn't believe in one particular application of their product or service doesn't mean the others have no value. If you'd prefer an example: Our printing company sends invoices and many other types of communication electronically. That doesn't say we don't believe in what we do. It just says that for this particular communication, electronic is the most cost effective.

Yes, but then you're talking electronic communication of transactional mail on an extremely low deployment volume (probably 1 to 10 at a time). I agree that electronic communication is the way to go for such an application. Not only does it reduce expenses, but, speeds up your cash flow turnaround.

But, honestly, would you send 500 to 1000 sales-oriented pieces touting you company's print quality via email? Maybe you would, but, then, as a recipient of that email, I would have to question the manner in which I received the sales piece. I would be asking myself, "If your quality is so good, why wasn't I given a chance to see the actual printed piece?"

I see that MailGuru is here. I have a question about an international mailing we're bidding. It would go to Australia and NZ. It's a 20x7 card folded to 5x7. Someone mentioned that Australia PO does not allow wafer seals meaning that these would have to go into plastic bags. We've tried asking the USPS and while they say they can't find info that says that they really won't give a definitive answer. Anyone with any knowledge on this?
Thanks in advance

I see that MailGuru is here. I have a question about an international mailing we're bidding. It would go to Australia and NZ. It's a 20x7 card folded to 5x7. Someone mentioned that Australia PO does not allow wafer seals meaning that these would have to go into plastic bags. We've tried asking the USPS and while they say they can't find info that says that they really won't give a definitive answer. Anyone with any knowledge on this?
Thanks in advance

I'm not familiar with the Australia postal regs, but, logically you're gonna need something to hold the piece shut during mailing.

Best option would be to spot glue, but, short of that, I'd wafer seal it. My thought process would be:

(1) The USPS is not responsible for knowing, or, enforcing the regulations of foreign countries, so, it's certainly not going to be rejected at your entry postal facility
(2) Once it arrives in Australia/NZ, it would probably cost more to reject it and send it back than to go ahead and deliver it.

But, if you really want a definitive answer, you need to reach out to a company that specializes in international mail. There's probably a dozen or so in the US if you research on the internet.
The only one I know off the top of my head would be Atlas Mailing Services.

Hope this helps

To me sounds like they know how to prepare a file for print but not for an email campaign. Sending an email campaign with the message as a PDF attachment is a very bad way to have it be read or in some cases even get it delivered.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back