Collapse
Canon
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Greatest Rock Album of All Times

the only true measure of a song being good or bad is if people enjoy listening to it. seriously, i don't give much thought to the technical merit of a song when i listen to it, i just listen for a sound i like. if i like it, it is a good song to me, and i listen. if it isn't up my alley, i dont. i dont say it is crap because i dont like it or it isn't a challenging enough composition. that seems to be the difference here, i dont analyze when im listening, i just look for a catchy song with a good hook and a good beat. that, however, doesn't make my opinion of a songs quality any less valid.

cr

Comment

G, you said:
      "You've got a whole slew of artists like this the Beatles, Jimmi Hendrix come to mind. (oh boy I'm going to get it for this blasphemy, but seriously they suck IMO)."

This is where I jumped back into this chat. Following the logic laid out here The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix should be considered great, they shouldn't "suck". Heck, by the logic I've read in some of the posts Barry Manilow is greater than The Beatles and greater than Jimi Hendrix. Is that what you think? Manilow is better than Hendrix?

When this whole thread started oh so long ago I posted my list of greatest albums. Here's my analogy on the whole "greatest" thing. First of all, if I started the word "crap" I apologize. I thought I picked that up from another post... I don't want to go back and check. I'll also drop the word "greatest". However, I cannot give up the idea that a more accomplished musician will produce music that is technically better than an average musician. If people want to like average music I'm totally cool with that and would never criticize. Just call it for what it is. Average.

Here's my analogy - you have an average pressman working in your shop. He does an adequate job, but his halftones are a little ragged, he can't keep his shadows open and he's dropping highlights. His four color is inconsistent, it scums and his densities are all over the place. The customer (maybe your largest account) comes in and says "that's the way I like it". You know the printing is not good, even though the account likes it. Everyone in the shop knows a better pressman could do a better job. Now, is that great printing? No (in my opinion). Does the account like it? Yes. Would a judge of quality printing suggest that the printing is good? I suggest no.

Apply that analogy to music. If you want to sell records to the masses that's fine. Just because "the masses" do not appreciate/understand/get the complexity of technically better music does not mean better music is worse. It's still better. I would take The Beatles or Hendrix' worst song over Manilow's "best". But that's just me. Thank God for America. We are entitled to choice and by G we can have a terrific conversation discussing our different opinions.

I would suggest this conversation would be better over a Guinness, but you may like Bud Light. You drink yours, I'll drink mine and we'll have a good ole time discussing the differences.
      Bob Hill
      Mid-States Graphics

Comment

A great technical musician can create a simple song, what do you do in this case? Is it bad? or good because the artist has the ability to create much more complex music?

I don't think the printing analogy works in this case as incorrect or bad printing is not the same as a uncomplicated song, as long as the notes are correct how is it bad?

Any who I would tend to agree aint neither side budging on this one, make mine a Grolsch.

*puts bullet in dead horse..BLAM*

Edited by: G_Town on Jan 18, 2008 12:05 PM

Edited by: G_Town on Jan 18, 2008 12:05 PM

Comment

Hey G,
          Well, it was fun while it lasted...
          The dead horse analogy reminds me of the Monty Python sketch about the dead parrot. Familiar with it?

Mr. Praline: He's not pinin'! He's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! He's expired and gone to meet his maker! He's a stiff! Bereft of life, He rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed him to the perch he'd be pushing up the daisies! His metabolic processes are now history! He's off the twig! He's kicked the bucket, he's shuffled off his mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!
          ------------------------

Here's to you G..
          Enjoy your Grolsch and your Ozzy and I'll enjoy my Guiness and maybe some Led Zep today.

::klink:: cheers.
          Bob Hill
          Mid-States Graphics

Comment

Of course Boston's album was created in a studio...aren't all albums, except for live/in concert albums created in studios?

Comment

Nice discussion!

When I'm with dad; Creedence Clearwater Revival, "Green River."
              When I'm with my bro; Nirvana, "Nevermind."
              When I'm with my wife; Aerosmith, "Pump."
              When I'm with my sister; Pixies, "Doolittle."
              When I'm with my mom; Muse, "Absolution."
              When I'm all alone; The Stills, "Logic Will Break Your Heart."

-Brian

Comment

It's difficult to choose just one! My choices would be 'Back in Black' by ACDC or Guns and Roses 'Appetite for Destruction'

Comment

while i am not a big fan of guns n roses, i will go as far as to say the "sweet child o mine" is one of the greatest rock songs i have ever heard. they really put it all together with that song.

Comment

Great thread! I just found it, looked through it and couldn't find what I think deserves a mention here:

The Clash, London Calling

\m/

Comment

London Calling should definitely be on the list somewhere as should "Appetite and Back in Black. The last two were serious party albums for my group of friends. Many summer Saturdays spent with the top off the bronco, buzzed and listening to Back in Black. Higher level of difficulty to drink beer, bang your head and listen to London Calling. Ramones Rocket to Russia, gotta nominate that one too.

Monkey

Comment

There is a perfect album for how your mood is at the time. The other day I heard Back in Black on the radio and it brought me back to 88' in detroit to our first concert to see ACDC. Great memories!

I think Hotel California by the Eagles was awesome as well!

Edited by: Konica Girl on Mar 14, 2008 3:17 PM

Comment

I would have to say the Eagles Hotel California....just my 2 cents worth

Comment

Genesis. Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.
                            Pink Floyd. The Wall
                            Velvet Underground. Loaded.

Now those are must haves.

Comment

Wait, I agree with Whitaker. The Clash London Calling!!!

Comment

My new fave rock (punk) album of all time is the latest from Pennywise... 'Reason to Believe' ... I'm a long time fan and this is some of their best work yet!! Cheers, Tony

Comment

CanonKBAAvantiSmartsoft (Presswise)DuploXerox4Over

Canon Embellishment White Paper

Collapse

Print Embellishment Goes
                                Straight To The Bottom Line

InfoTrends reported that interviews with more than 100 print customers demonstrated an appetite and willingness to pay premiums of 24% to 89% for special effects, over CMYK-only printing. They also indicated embellishment could apply to a significant portion of their work. Embellishment options can include hot foil stamping, spot gloss UV, embossing, debossing, letterpress, diecut shapes, lamination, duplex, triplex, gold foil, silver foil, copper foil, white foil, black foil, clear foil, etching, and laser cutting techniques. Download The Free White Paper.

CanonSmartsoft (Presswise)AvantiKBAXeroxChili publish4Over " "DuploAvanti

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7510 users online. 119 members and 7391 guests.

Most users ever online was 14,674 at 05:29 AM on 10-30-2019.

Working...
                                X