Greatest Rock Album of All Times

Re: Greatest Rock Album of All Times

Sammy Hagar: Standing Hampton or Three Lock Box or I never said goodbye

Ozzy should be on the list somewhere, not for No more Tears though, Blizzard of Oz or Diary of a Madman, equally good albums.

No sure who let Sammy out of the bar scene, he's just as good as the guy who play in the bar down the street every weekend, certainly not a rock legend or guitar god.

Hi All,

I happened to catch Bad Religion last week here in Brisbane, Australia, for the first time in like 10 years and I can honestly say it would easily rank in my top three shows of all time! I'm a huge punk rock fan and the old BR guys still put on a way better show than most of the new school acts, all I can say is grab the latest album, enjoy, and I hope they hit our shores again before another 10 yrs pass!!

Cheers, Tony

If I was to be stranded on an island and could only bring 25 albums with me.

1. Exile on Main Street
2. Excitable Boy
3. Dark Side of the Moon
4. Sgt. Pepper
5. My Aim is True
6. Highway 61 Revisited
7. Brain Salad Surgery
8. Trick of the Tail
10. Court of the Crimson King
11. Who's Next
12. Out of the Blue
13. Music at Big Pink
15. Peter Gabriel 1st Solo
16. Damm the Torpedos
17. Can't Eat A Peach
18. Briefcase Full of Blues
19.461 Ocean Blvd
20.Ziggy Startdust
21. Joe's Garage
22.Feats Don't Fail Me Now
23. Born to Run
24.Travelin Wilburys
25.Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

Here is/are my choices for best Rock Album(s)...in no particular order:

*AC/DC* - Back in Black

*Black Sabbath* - We Sold our Soul for Rock & Roll

*Led Zeppelin* - Physical Grafitti

*Pink Floyd* - The Dark Side of the Moon

*Lynyrd Skynyrd* - Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd

*ZZ Top* - Eliminator

*Ronnie James Dio* - Holy Diver

*Montrose* - Montrose

*Ozzy* - Blizzard of Oz

"Ozzy should be on the list somewhere, not for No more Tears though, Blizzard of Oz or Diary of a Madman, equally good albums.

No sure who let Sammy out of the bar scene, he's just as good as the guy who play in the bar down the street every weekend, certainly not a rock legend or guitar god."

I found No More Tears to be just his highest energy album of course Randys tenure should have been mentioned.

Yea I agee on the Sammy thing it's not like he was in Montrose, H.S.A.S, Van Halen and the numerous Solo efforts not to mention the purveyor of some very fine tequila.

What a slacker

;p

Oh and not bad for "the guy who play in the bar down the street every weekend"

Crap I wish I had his musical and business talents, life would be sweet.

. Sammy Hagar

May 7 2007

$80 million*

Former Van Halen singer Sammy Hagar started tequila company Cabo Wabo in 1996, the same year he left the band. (The name apparently originated after Hagar saw a man "wobbling" down the beach of Cabo San Lucas.) In May, Gruppo Campari, maker of Campari and SKYY vodka, bought 80% of the company for $80 million, with an option to buy the remaining 20% from Hagar over the next five to eight years.

Edited by: G_Town on Jan 2, 2008 8:52 PM

G Man you're taking this WAY too seriously. But, being in the right place at the right time doesn't constitute brains or talent... see Geezer Butler as an example or Ringo Starr. Neither exceptionally talented but good steady musicians. Neither was ever guilty of a riff that changed rock and roll in the way that Jimmy Page did. As for the Ozzy album, No More Tears was too commercial for my taste after listening to Ozzy for years before it came out. Guess even your favorites can hit a clinker, example "Shakedown Street". Who would have ever guess that the Dead would do a disco song. Blizzard of Ozz is hardly low energy, see "Crazy Train" and "I Don't Know". Everyone has an opinion.

Monkey

I take NOTHING seriously just like to debate. As far as talent goes I believe a lot of talented people don't get the recognition they deserve while others seem to be held to God like status for doing nothing more, as you said, being at the right place at the right time, sure Jimmy Page was innovative for his time but I would hardly call him a guitar god. Clearly someone like Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malsteen or an Al di Meola is a much better guitarist. You've got a whole slew of artists like this the Beatles, Jimmi Hendrix come to mind. (oh boy I'm going to get it for this blasphemy, but seriously they suck IMO).

I've been a huge Ozzy fan since Blizzard and don't think I said it was low energy (Sabbath was so so for me) and I just really found Zakk's playing on that album to be awesome.

As you said everyone has an opinion.

If you haven't, you should check out Eric Johnson, he's got a lot more great music besides "Cliffs of Dover". Ah Via Musicom might make my desert island list. The beatles weren't great musicians in technical terms. Steve Via is a great technical musician. Everything is sharp and precise but he has no soul or emotion. The beatles did things that no one had done before because they were there with George Martin when the technology became available. Clapton payed his dues to learn to imitate a great bluesman. All great in one way or another, just different hues in the pantone book.

Edited by: HiTech_Monkeyboy on Jan 4, 2008 10:47 AM

Ahh seems fitting you should choose Eric J. for your desert album, desert rose is a fine song ;)

Yea I have both albums, Joe Satriani is also amazing to watch saw him on the Extremist tour at a smaller venue great show.

I have heard the same about Eddie VanHalen, in fact, I think it was Eric Clapton that said it (great player but no emotion).

Good analogy with the Pantone btw.

OK, trying to follow your logic here. Jimi (note the one "m") Hendrix sucks and Ozzy Osbourne is great? Let's see... Ozzy is a ragged singer with no vocal range. Three chords and few speed riffs added to that equals great? Aside from the fact that he doesn't play guitar and doesn't write the guitar music. I saw Ozzy with Black Sabbath back in the 70s. I put him in the same category as Grand Funk Railroad. Boring with a capital B. Listening to the release with him singing other people's music (sorry don't recall the title) is evidence of his lack of range.

Meanwhile, Jimi Hendrix created a sound that is at once unmistakable in its style and skill and unique in its artistic appeal. The man did things with a guitar copied by few and perfected by even fewer. Stevie Ray Vaughan comes to mind in this category.

Malmstein, Vai, Johnson, all excellent guitarists. Technically amazing but not creative. Satriani rises above this crowd with his sense of rhythm and his classical guitar training. I remember seeing Vai when he was playing in Frank Zappa's band and was amazed by his technical wizardry. But he was great because he had great music to play. While I'm at it, Zappa had the ability to create highly intricate music and perform it with amazing results. His solos were blistering, knee buckling guitar pieces that will long stand the test of time. His kid Dweezil is also an excellent guitarist in his own rite.

I love The Beatles but understand that some find them too old school. IMHO, the White Album belongs on any list of influential music to be published. George Martin added the flourish, but the boys created the music.

Gee, i hope you guys weren't kidding when you said you don't take things too seriously and just like to debate. Music is an incredibly personal experience. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Right?

Anyway, just my two cents.

Personal preference m8, You like Hendrix I think he sucks am I not allowed an opinion?

Ozzy alone would probably suck but being as he always teams up with good guitarists R.R. Jake E. Lee, Zakk he's always been a fav. of mine.

SHARON!

Sure you're allowed an opinion G. I was just expressing mine. I love a good discussion, sorry if you took offense to my comments.

Read your post Bob and I have to agree that Hendrix was a master. He was also an innovator. The Beatles and the Who were as well. To term something "old school" belittles the the effort and creativity of the first person in the world to think of or actually pull something off. Neil Armstrong rode an old school rocket by that standard. SRV was great because he had Hendrix to aspire to.

Back to the trench, doodie calls.

Monkey

Hi Tech, Point taken about the "old school" usage. I prob should have put in quotes because The Beatles aren't old school to me. I was thinking more from G's standpoint. At age 54, I grew up listening to Beatles music and when Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album and Let it Be came along it opened my eyes to what harmony and tone could be when in the proper hands.

Ahh we see the discrepencies in ages, so from you're perspective and time frame these guys were the hot new thing or "the new hotness" as Will Smith would say but from my perspective they would be "old and busted."

Growing up as a teenager in the 80's I would naturally have a different slant on what's good in my opinion. I mean Kip Winger is God!!! JUST KIDDING!

I do understand the historical and musically contributions that these old timers have contributed to music I mean had there not been Zepplin or Hendrix who knows what bands might have never came to be. Or perhaps the musical movement was under way and it was just waiting for some one to spear head it and these folks were in the right place at the right time? Who knows.

All I know is I'm lucky to have made it out of that area without becoming a Disco freak (thanks mom).

p.s. No offense taken :)

Edited by: G_Town on Jan 10, 2008 10:10 AM

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back