Mondegreen Much?

G

[Mondegreen|http://www.answers.com/mondegreen&r=67]
mon·de·green (mon'd?-gren', môn'-)
n. A series of words that result from the mishearing or misinterpretation of a statement or song lyric.

My personal favorite is one from my brother when we were kids. He swore (and I won a bet) that Boston was singing "All I want is to have my piece of pie" instead of "peace of mind". Cracked me up. Still does. Of course there is "Big old jet had a light on", "the girl with colitis goes by", and "scuse me will i kiss this guy".

What are your favorites, old or new?

Research: http://www.kissthisguy.com/

Re: Mondegreen Much?

Island of Seals (Go-Go's +Our Lips are Sealed+ )

Edited by: doubting_thomas on Sep 28, 2007 8:57 AM

Edited by: doubting_thomas on Sep 28, 2007 8:57 AM

no doubt. folks had that on vinyl and i'd listen to it and just laugh at how few words i could pick out!

There were some very nasty lyric sheets making the rounds on that one when I was in Jr. High. Parents were crapping themselves to get it banned. Turns out was very clean old folk song about some sailor leaving his main squeeze.

LMAO Don! I used to sing "wrapped up like a douche and i'm a loner in the night" when we were kids.

Eric,

Can't say what I sang ever made sense to me, but I just couldn't figure out wtf it was saying. I mean, if you're wrapped up like a douche, how much could you really do? It's kinda be hard to move wouldn't it?

:)

Don

there is always " count the head lice on the highway" and dirty knees and the thunder chief.

My older brother used to sing

"headfeathers and leather" instead of Handbangers in leather from Heavy Metal by Sr. Samus Hagaris
Apparently his GF at the time made the initial mistake and he ran with it.

lmao. headfeathers and leather. that'd be something entirely different...

Thank you Don for clearing that up.

I thought it was, "wrapped up like a douche. Another rumour in the night."
To be fair, the singer does pronounce deuce as douche. Intentional?

I also thought Rush's 2112 lyrics were:
"We are the preists of the temples
of all seared sphinx.
Our grave computer,
fills the hollowed halls."

If I just ruined that song for anybody. I am sorry.

Fortunately today, we can look up the lyrics of any song online. Although I consider it cheating, I now know what "the girl in corner" (Ballroom Blitz by Sweet) said.

This is different but in the same vain. Next time your wife can see you but not hear you, mouth the words "elephant ears" and she will think you said "I love you".

I like the song Elton John did about that guy from the t.v. show TAXI....(I actually got this from an episode of Friends)

"Hold me closer Tony Danza"

Oh, and Steve Perry from "Oh Sherry" ...

"Cinnamon Gum" instead of "Shoulda been gone"

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back