help educate me on a printer choice for my new medium sized print shop

sanch_

I am a graphic designer. I want to open a print shop, but I am having trouble deciding on the printing machine I need. I want a machine that would fit into my budget and also give good quality prints. I have a budget of 5,000 dollars. I have been planning to buy the xerox phaser 7800gx. But I found out it might not meet my needs. I do photography, graphic designs and publications. I want a machine(s) that can print pictures and documents alike. Please, I need the names of these machines so I can look at them. If. There are also better ones with higher prices I might consider them. Please feel free to suggest the best for my business. This is very important that I get the right equipment. I have been saving the money for this project. I am ready to answer questions that might help you suggest a machine for me. Thank you for your help and time.

Don't forget that the initial investment is only the beginning. Most printer supplies like toners and drums are very expensive. I myself use a Xante Ilumina 502 which suits my needs pretty well. I use it for all kinds of work, but mainly for printing wedding invitations, birth cards, funeral cards etc. It has it's quirks (all printers do), but i'm pretty satisfied with it. To give you an idea of supply costs... a set of CMYK toners will easily set you back $800, and the same for a set of drums.
How long they will last depends on what you print of course.

Hi, what kind of info are looking for? Please consider the fact that no one knows specifics of what you're planning on printing better than you do. This model might be too new for people to generate an opinion on how reliable/unreliable it is. Best way - read the specs, take/send few common types of files that you plan on printing to someone who has this printer and ask to print samples - this will allow you to generate your own opinion. A dealer whom you're planning on buying the machine from should be able to do this for you or connect you with someone who had purchased similar machine so they can give you a reference and print samples. A good dealer with happy customers should have no problems with it. Another thing - are you sure you need a GX? Most of us do all finishing off-line and need the printer to lay a flat sheet so 1 tray + by-pass tray that comes standard should be enough as your output tray can't hold more than can be loaded in to one cassette anyway, it's not like you will have hours of unattended printing because you have 4 input trays, save the money for cutter, folder, etc. As far as Print quality - I have a Phaser 7500 which, I believe, is shares same print engine as Phaser 7800 and as a Printer I like a print quality of a previous model -Phaser 7760 better and as a User, I don't like that 7500 has smaller capacity toners/drums and as Service Engineer I think that it is kind of flimsy compare to 7760.

Last edited:
Hi, what kind of info are looking for? Please consider the fact that no one knows specifics of what you're planning on printing better than you do. This model might be too new for people to generate an opinion on how reliable/unreliable it is. Best way - read the specs, take/send few common types of files that you plan on printing to someone who has this printer and ask to print samples - this will allow you to generate your own opinion. A dealer whom you're planning on buying the machine from should be able to do this for you or connect you with someone who had purchased similar machine so they can give you a reference and print samples. A good dealer with happy customers should have no problems with it. Another thing - are you sure you need a GX? Most of us do all finishing off-line and need the printer to lay a flat sheet so 1 tray + by-pass tray that comes standard should be enough as your output tray can't hold more than can be loaded in to one cassette anyway, it's not like you will have hours of unattended printing because you have 4 input trays, save the money for cutter, folder, etc. As far as Print quality - I have a Phaser 7500 which, I believe, is shares same print engine as Phaser 7800 and as a Printer I like a print quality of a previous model -Phaser 7760 better and as a User, I don't like that 7500 has smaller capacity toners/drums and as Service Engineer I think that it is kind of flimsy compare to 7760.

Thank you for your view on the gx. As to your questions, I will be printing pictures, fliers, brochures, business cards, letter heads and sample of jobs for clients and other customers that require same service. I do not know anyone who currently owns this machine. I am asking these question because I don't have any ideas. I have been reading a lot about these machines and as such I believe there are people on this forum who have used some or had experience with some of the machines. So, I am open to suggestions and opinions. When you mentioned I do no need the gx and that I should use the money to get a cut and other things. Are you saying a should get another phaser 7800? And does the cutter of thos model you speak about come with the cutter and finisher? I need it on A3 to save costs as I can have 4 A5 fliers on a single A3 sheet. What I want is very good print quality for both pictures and text assuming I have to print something that involves both. So, kindly put me through in more details. Thanks.

As far as printer - take a phaser 7800 if you like it just get a DN configuration, not a GX. As you will open up, shortly you will learn that you will need a paper cutter, folding machine just to name a few so not spending extra money on GX configuration of Phaser7800 should help you to have fund available for those items. As far as printing 2up on A3 - unles your machine is on "per click" contract, I really don't see a real advantage except extra cutting, the only when you should need it is when printing full bleed 2 up on oversized sheet (European SRA3 I think) It is understood that you may not know anyone who owns this printer but you are planning to buy somewhere right? That company should be able to assist you with samples. I would imagine, if that had sold some number of these printers they could ask the individuals who bought them a permission to give you their contact information - few phone call, that is if they don't have their own demo unit...

As far as printer - take a phaser 7800 if you like it just get a DN configuration, not a GX. As you will open up, shortly you will learn that you will need a paper cutter, folding machine just to name a few so not spending extra money on GX configuration of Phaser7800 should help you to have fund available for those items. As far as printing 2up on A3 - unles your machine is on "per click" contract, I really don't see a real advantage except extra cutting, the only when you should need it is when printing full bleed 2 up on oversized sheet (European SRA3 I think) It is understood that you may not know anyone who owns this printer but you are planning to buy somewhere right? That company should be able to assist you with samples. I would imagine, if that had sold some number of these printers they could ask the individuals who bought them a permission to give you their contact information - few phone call, that is if they don't have their own demo unit...

Ok. I get you. But, I want to order this online, so, I don't know how possible it is for me to get a print sample. I am in Nigeria. But I think I'll go for the DN then. What cutter do you recommend please. And I was also looking that the canon mark 2 pro, fuji Mfp and epson inkjets too. Any other information or tip I should know about with regards to opening a print shop? Thank you.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back