RFC Large Format Printer for University Fine Art Program

paiwacket

I administrate the digital systems in a local university Fine Art program. We are looking to replace our aging( 5-6 years old) Epsons 7600 & 9600. I would value input.

We are 100% Mac; we will be rolling out Leopard by the time new printers arrive.

Criteria include:

1. 24” & 44” printers
2. Archival ink system
3. The same inks for each printer
4. Networked w/ better administrative control. The 7600 & 9600 queue software has been very difficult & unreliable, w/ issues such as print jobs disappearing from queues & then printing on someone else’s media.
5. Three-four year+ onsite tech sppt.

Epson, HP or Canon et al? Comparative value of a RIP? Presently we have no RIP, & I was told that the printer profiles that we use will not work w/ RIPs. Maybe that is a side issue, but worthy of mention.

Thanks, -Barry

Re: RFC Large Format Printer for University Fine Art Program

Barry,
You absolutely, positively should invest in some RIP software. It's gonna' improve the quality and reliability of your workflow. I don't know why someone would say that your profiles wouldn't work with a RIP - but that's unusual to say the least.

At this point in time, I'd say that the choice of RIP to drive the printers is more important than choosing the printers themselves. All 3 printer manufacturers have great choices. There are also Mutoh and Roland to think about.

I've had very good experiences with HP tech support. Epson has their own support as well (but I don't have any experience with them). I think Canon relies on GEI CalGraph for support - but check to be sure. My personal experiences with GEI have not been good.

For fine art I wouldn't have recommended HP a year ago, but the Z-series printers did a lot to boost HP in my eyes.

For the kind of work you're describing I'd cruise the photography forums. Those guys are absolute wackos about their inkjet devices. They REALLY push the envelope.

rich

Re: RFC Large Format Printer for University Fine Art Program

> {quote:title=rich apollo wrote:}{quote}
> For the kind of work you're describing I'd cruise the photography forums. Those guys are absolute wackos about their inkjet devices. They REALLY push the envelope.

+1 on that!

All kinds of discussions on RIPs, settings and highly custom color profiles they all share. I spent some time viewing some of those forums when we started using our 9800 w/EFI Best Color RIP, way more involved that our needs, but enlightening to the flexibility having a RIP in place.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back