Color adjustment question

Seeking Knowledge

How many Wide/Grand format printers make color adjustments at the RIP. We print on many different stocks and our clientele has been known to be very color critical. We are for the most part accurate to our proofs but when clients supply their own or send in printed sheets to match we typically have to do some color manipulation. We currently do it in CS but an argument has been made to do it at the RIP. Also if you do what RIP do you use?

Would love to hear some of your thoughts.

We often supply files to Wide Format printers (I work for an ad agency graphic department) and always base our color expectations to the certified Gracol proof we supply. We understand that the white point on the final stock may vary but most of the time, the printer does a good overall match. I would assume (but I may be wrong) that every decent rip would have the hability to match (to some acceptable tolerance) any standard printing condition such as Gracol or ISO Coated. But if you're getting a non-standard proof to match, then I don't see how the rip could do it by itself...

Last edited:
We have done a limited number of jobs using the color adjustments on the RIP which are somewhat rudimentary. It is a much better practice to have the adjustments done in Prepress IMO.

EFI Fiery XF 4.5.8

Thank you for the reply. I should mention that our proofs have been Gracol certified and the output from our Printing devices have also been certified. That is why I mentioned we are for the most part accurate to our proofs. But there is a +/- tolerance to the certification that allows for visual differences between two certified proofs from different vendors. That is where the color corrections we make come in to play, and that is my question. Are folks doing those adjustments at the RIP or in CS?

Let's say you have a customer in for a press check and they want to make a color change where is that change made?

Thank you Tommy, there is a push for doing them at the RIP. It is believed that it would be much faster at the RIP.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back