Inkjet Proofing Paper

Cory Smith

What is everyone using?
We were on the Epson branded semi-Matte until epson "realigned" the product line. We made the switch over to the Oris Semi-Matte paper and have been pretty happy. It's more money than the epson, but the brightness seems to be closer to our house sheet.

Re: Inkjet Proofing Paper

We've got the Oris paper too and it seems to work well.

The excess paper that gets trimmed off works pretty good in my Epson at home.

We've been using LexJet Sunset Photo Semimatte for proofing. Nice paper, and inexpensive. We also use Epson premium semigloss, but I don't like the texture or opacity, and its not as bright as the lexjet. What does Oris charge for their semimatte? GMG paper is very nice, and no optical brighteners, but very $$$.

That's not too bad price wise. A 24" x 100' roll from Lexjet goes for about $92. I don't remember specifically what GMG's paper cost, but it was over $200 for a similar roll.

For those interested, there's also www.twproof.com for inkjet proofing on the actual press stock.

Ask your dealer about Mid-States Graphics Semi-Matte DP. That should fall in nicely to replace the Epson Semi that went away. It's similar in weight, hue and surface and is competitively priced.

There are some good papers out there. I am using MidStates ProofLine White Satin 230. Really good and good price. It doesn't compare to gmg paper but it is good.

Edited by: stargate on Sep 17, 2007 8:57 AM

Now do not laugh, but the person in charge on ordering stock went to Fuji Proof paper, we used the Epson Photo Semi-Matte. I tried to get the individual to call our color consultant to ask what we need but that did not happen. This is the paper we are using for the high end proofs.

One other thing, we have an Epson Pro 9800 that is working just fine and there is a deal that we might also be getting some Cannon inkjet printer that will reproduce dots. Again We tell him to call the consultant to make sure what we need to install two ink jets, but he will not. He is going to wait until we have everything then bring in the consultant. We are going to have so much fun when the consultant is going to come in.

Thanks for listening,
Matt B.

Edited by: Matt on Sep 25, 2007 7:13 PM

Matt, which Fuji paper did you switch to? They have some excellent products in their proofing line. Secondly, why get a Canon to produce dot proofs? Why not just put in the RIP you need and use the 9800. That's an excellent machine to use for that purpose. I think the Canon is a fine machine, but if you already have an engine to do dots, why not use it? As an aside, what is the motivating factor for the decision to go to dot proofing? Contone has done such a great job that I'm always curious why dots are needed.

Hey Bob,

I am not doubting Fuji at all, we are using Fuji's 'Proof Satin 240'. I looked on there website for a profile for the paper and they do not list one for this paper, they just list profiles for the higher quality papers, I am guessing. To answer the rest of your questions, the person ordering has it in their head that this is the best way to go, even though everybody else is saying different. We have several pieces of newer equipment laying around because he 'got a great deal on them', HA! The only reason for the cannon is, it is being given to us because we are renewing a contract. If it was up to me, I would run the Cannon for lower quality proofs since, from what I hear, it prints faster and forget about the dot printing. Now my only other concern would be can we run two different printer with the EFI Colorproof XF software, or do we need another license.

Matt B.

Edited by: Matt on Sep 26, 2007 6:52 PM

Another "like-like" paper to epson's discontinued semi-matte paper is available thru Alameda Company's Graphics dealers. Great pricing without the OEM brand price hikes.
160 GMS PREMIUM PROOF BASE SEMI MATTE
Bob O'Neill
Alameda Company
925-209-9678

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back