Epson SureColor S-Series Printers Unveiled

prwhite

Administrator
Staff member
Epson has introduced the SureColor® S-Series roll-to-roll solvent printers–the 64-inch production S40600, S60600 and S80600. This series targets the signage, vehicle graphics and fine art reproduction markets.

Developed over a four-year period, Epson engineers incorporated the latest imaging technologies: Epson’s UltraChrome® GS3 solvent ink chemistry, an all-new precision media feeding system, and a high performance Dual-Array PrecisionCore® TFP® print head.

The flagship SureColor S80600 also features an all new GS3 Red ink to produce vivid output with an expansive color gamut and color vibrancy, plus optional White or Silver ink, for photographic quality output.

Myself, I'm really curious about the use of red and orange in the S80600.

Basically I'm wondering what one will do that the other won't, and my initial reaction is to think that if it was me, I'd rather have either the red or the orange in one of those slots, and a light-light black in the other.

Of course maybe I'm missing something. I'm eager to profile one and see if that's the case.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

Yes, same thought here: why put red and orange ink in one printer? They could add green and come closer to the P9900 output in terms of colour gamut (although there may be an issue with the stability of the green pigments (is there?) and since the printouts of a signage printer should be durable outdoors...).
The mechanical changes seem to be an improvement and let’s hope they really are (we have two S70600s and additional rollers would be great to have... as would be more than just 30 media presets).

I'm sure the reason there's no green is that it just doesn't help create any colors anyone cares about.

Epson had green in the old GS6000, and basically it never fired. Or at least it fired so seldom that it tended to settle out in the cartridges.

I used to say that Epson should trade the green for a light black, and of course that's what they did in the first Sure Color (I never did get my consulting check though.)

There are a ton of oranges though that everyone wants to hit: Home Depot Orange; Pantone 021; AT&T Orange: KTM Orange.

And of course everyone wants a good strong red. I'm just thinking one proper primary could get you to both. I'm looking forward to seeing one of these things and seeing what the story is.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back