Oris Proof Verification issues

dub

I am running Oris Color Tuner/Web version 3.1 and we have been getting a lot spectro communication failed errors between the software and our Epson 9900. This basically makes it so Oris will not read and verify the verification scale. I can sometimes re-align the spectro then reboot the Epson and I can get one or two proofs to verify by Oris but then it will fail again. Anyone else have this issue? This is the error:
Error during printing
Communication error with SpectroProofer.​

Has this been working properly in the past? How is the printer connected to ORIS, network connection tends to work better than USB. Have you switched out the USB cord connecting the spectroproofer to the printer?

If this has just started suddenly I'd check the calibration status and backing color of the spectroproofer (front panel > Menu > Options Setup > SpectroProofer > Status Information) if the calibration status has failed or the backing is grey; turn off the printer clean the white tile and make sure the ILS head is mounted properly then restart and check again. If you get the same results again call Epson, the spectro probably is dead.

I agree with most of benstarr’s post.

In addition to the “obvious” hardware checks, one should also consider software.

There is firmware at the proofer and spectro.

There is also the software versions with both ORIS ColorTuner and ORIS Certified to consider.

Have you recently upgraded your RIP software or perhaps installed other X-Rite software on the RIP that could be conflicting with the ORIS software?

Stephen Marsh

Hi dub,
while Ben certainly has good points if my memory serves me right USB is not even an option while using spectroproofer. Anyway what I would do on top of what has been suggested above is to log on to the printer server (just use the ip of the printer in your browser) then go on and set the time out values of the printer (and other items to on that page to let say 2 x what ever they are now). This has proven to be a succesful thing for most of my spectroproofer issues.

benstar war referring to the connection between the ILS and the printer, which is a USB cable – not that the printer is connected via USB and not network cable.

Stephen Marsh

Hi dub,
while Ben certainly has good points if my memory serves me right USB is not even an option while using spectroproofer. Anyway what I would do on top of what has been suggested above is to log on to the printer server (just use the ip of the printer in your browser) then go on and set the time out values of the printer (and other items to on that page to let say 2 x what ever they are now). This has proven to be a succesful thing for most of my spectroproofer issues.

Thanks for everyone's responses, I have gone thru everything and firmware is up to date, removed cleaned and re-set ILS, changed the time out time to the max time on the Epson (thanks for that tip Johu), re-aligned spectro. The odd thing with this is that I just did a media re-calibration and everything ran fine. I only get error messages when Oris is trying to certify proofs with Certified/Web. Meaning when that piece of the software wants to communicated with the ILS. I am working with CGS support who are awesome it has just been a really tough issue to figure out so far. Yes this all began after upgrading to version 3.1. This is also running on an older PC with windows XP which support as said may be an issue. I am going to keep working thru things and see what happens.

You may want to look how close to the edge of the paper the verification strip is printing (compared to how close the alignment strip is printing).
If it is too close to the edge of the paper, then it might not scan.

We’re getting this error (below) after the Epson 9900 was serviced by a third party. Just cleaned the ink wells and such. Any ideas?

Error during printing

Error in SpectroProofer device.​

Proof of '​C:​\ProgramData​\CGS​\PROOFING JOBS​\JOB18231(Avera Web_01_Front_2019-F~.​pdf$18231)​\_uploaded_files_​\V1​\SEPARATION_0 .​PDF'​ failed.​

Earlier, after servicing the Epson, I tried to update the firmware on the Epson 9900 but it said "failed”.

It currently shows to have the original firmware still installed. I'm wondering if the failed update did something wrong.

I can open a pdf in Acrobat on that PC and print direct to the Epson, bypassing the ORIS software successfully. So it's something inside the ORIS software. The PC IS communicating since it will report the ink levels and run test prints from the PC's printer que.

We checked all the Spectro's connections. They're ok.

Any ideas?

Update: I turned OFF "Proof Certification required" in the ORIS Color Tuner// Web software and it's printing the files.
It's something to do with the Spectro system.... Turning the Certification check back on still causes the error.

SOLVED: The Spectro head was not snapped in completely. On the Epson LCD panel, go into Option Setup/SpectroProofer/Status Information/Backing Color. It should be white.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back