Rip software for Epson s80600

Forrest M

I'm in the process of acquiring an epson s80600 printer at the moment. It comes with the basic onyx gamma rip. I'm thinking this will be all that we need. We just need it to be able to tile up different prints and print them(we don't need to do any other sort of setup through it). We already have i1profiler and are very experienced in creating profiles for other printers(silver halide photographic printers/ canon ipf8400/ various sublimation printers). Will onyx gamma except profiles created using the i1profiler? Is there any other reason that we might need to upgrade? The dealer is recommending onyx thrive to us, but I don't think that we really need that. We will pretty much exclusively be printing fine art(photographic) canvas on it for canvas wraps/mounts.

Gamma Print is a pretty bare-bones version of Onyx that's sold as OEM with the Epson Sure Colors. Thrive is the Onyx flagship product.

The main difference between them is that Gamma uses the Jaws RIP engine, and Thrive uses the Adobe PDF Print Engine. Thrive is also scalable, so that you can add RIP's and printer permissions to it over time as you might need them.

Also, Gamma has no Media Manager, and no Job Editor. And what that means is that with Gamma, i1Profiler will do you no good, as you have to build a media profile in any RIP --Onyx included, and for that you need Media Manager -- before you can make an ICC profile with third party software. There's quite a bit to that as well, I'll add, and all of what there is to it determines how your printer actually prints. If you're not running any of your printers with a RIP, and just printing directly from applications using ICC's created in i1 Profiler, be prepared for what's a bigger learning curve than you may be expecting.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

We just got our new epson s80600 in this week. Gamma print does have media manager and job editor. I created a profile with i1 profiler through the media manager but the test print I did with the profile came out looking pretty muted. I'm not sure but I think it's only using 4 colors for the printer output and I don't see how to change that. Am I missing something? Is it possible that the media manager that comes with gamma is not letting me fully access all of it's options or actually create a full profile?

We just got our new epson s80600 in this week. Gamma print does have media manager and job editor. I created a profile with i1 profiler through the media manager but the test print I did with the profile came out looking pretty muted. I'm not sure but I think it's only using 4 colors for the printer output and I don't see how to change that. Am I missing something? Is it possible that the media manager that comes with gamma is not letting me fully access all of it's options or actually create a full profile?

Congrats on the S80600, that is a really nice setup!

Gamma Print lacks the capability to create custom ICC profiles. You'll need to go with an upgrade to either PosterShop or the Thrive solution. That will give you the profiling capabilities you're looking to do. You should be able to get a $750 credit when you trade in your Gamma Print to upgrade to a more robust Onyx solution. Private message me if you have any further questions.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back