No announcement yet.

Photoshop instead of RIP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not place your images into an indesign file and print from there? It handles all kinds of file types without needing to rasterize or change in any way. It also has features that could be akin to imposition software or you could even find or write your own scripts to impose. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Whitehead View Post
      Yeah, I expected the converting to halftone bitmap step to do what the 'colour halftone' filter does - make a bunch of round dots with no regard for the edges. It actually keeps the edges like an actual RIP does.
      The algorithms are different: the "Color Halftone" filter takes an area of the image, averages its value and draws a circle with a size proportional to that averaged value. The bitmap conversion does actual halftoning using a point-process method (one pixel at a time) and a halftone screen matrix. That's why it can generate partial halftone dots and keep sharp edges.
      One problem with it, however, is the low accuracy of the resulting screen ruling and angle. Superimposing 4 separations will show you severe moiré and rosette center shifting.

Also, for some mysterious reason, Photoshop cannot rasterize PDFs to more than 32,000 pixels at a side. It can, however, open such images or resize existing ones to larger sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzel View Post

The algorithms are different: the "Color Halftone" filter takes an area of the image, averages its value and draws a circle with a size proportional to that averaged value. The bitmap conversion does actual halftoning using a point-process method (one pixel at a time) and a halftone screen matrix. That's why it can generate partial halftone dots and keep sharp edges.
        One problem with it, however, is the low accuracy of the resulting screen ruling and angle. Superimposing 4 separations will show you severe moiré and rosette center shifting.

Also, for some mysterious reason, Photoshop cannot rasterize PDFs to more than 32,000 pixels at a side. It can, however, open such images or resize existing ones to larger sizes.
        I found that the moire was not that much of an issue, having said that I seem to remember that in some cases however I did use a line screen.
        Methinks this method is screaming out for a revival, motto...: "The way forward... back to the nineties!"

Comment

Hi, I'm really not even sure if i need to resterize my files for print. I think all I need is the ability to use automated imposition and use ICC profiles easily. Now upon spending hours getting prints with blotchy colours in Qimage I have come to the conclusion that my issue is just with the ICC profiles I've been creating. I'm not having issues with the standard Epson ICC profiles but the ones that I make are sometimes coming out fine and sometimes coming out with loads of clipped/blotchy colours.

I wonder if someone can tell me if it sounds like I've been doing the right thing when making the profiles?

I'm using an X-rite i1 basic pro2 with X-rite i1profiler.
          I have selected RGB because I'm printing through Qimage.
          Standard size colour chart with I think 2133 patches.
          Leaving everything at default after that, saving as version 4 profile.
          Then just creating the profile, saving it and using it.

Any ideas where I might be going wrong?

Comment

Yes, your images are already raster. A WF RIP is doing a lot more than just rasterizing non raster content. Yes, some sort of nesting and colour management would indeed be helpful. As for your ICC question, you could try creating a v2 ICC from the same data and compare to the v4 using the same output settings and workflow.

Stephen Marsh
            Comments are personal and my views may not be shared by my employer or partners.

Comment

Ultimate Smartsoft (Presswise)4OverStandard FinishingKBAAleyant
            Ultimate 4OverAgfa/EversifyStandard FinishingKBAKBAAleyant

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4359 users online. 98 members and 4261 guests.

Most users ever online was 5,872 at 11:39 AM on 09-30-2016.

Working...
            X