Ink drying in lines of solvent printer

BigSi

This might seem like a silly question! Just keep in mind I'm new to wide format solvent printing. My Mutoh (VJ 1324) seems to go threw a load of ink. I do not use it very much, and have been told to leave it turned on all the time. Presumably to stop ink going dry in the lines.
After 2-3 weeks and printing 2-3 small jobs (minimal coverage) the waste bottle is full. I realise every so often it goes threw its cleaning cycle. But at this rate it's costing me a small fortune in ink. Why can't I at least turn if off at night and maybe in the weekend? It's cold here (winter at the moment)
I find it hard to believe the ink will go dry over such a short period. The bloke who told me to leave it on all the time works for the company who sells the ink (I smell a rat). I have since change to non genuine ink and this is helping my costs quite a bit, but still!!! Your thoughts are appreciated.

It's not the ink drying in the lines you need to worry about, it's ink drying on/in the print head that you need to worry about. We leave our Mimaki machine on all the time, and it periodically runs a cleaning cycle on the head, to keep things fresh. 3+ years later and the thing still runs like a champ with no head or part replacements.

"The bloke who told me to leave it on all the time works for the company who sells the ink (I smell a rat). I have since change to non genuine ink and this is helping my costs quite a bit, but still!!!"

Justin is right.

One thing you might keep in mind is that if you're new to this type of printing, it just might be that people who have been in it awhile are the ones you should be listening to. If it was me, I'd never switch a solvent or eco-solvent machine to non-OEM ink.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

Thanks Guys. Point taken, it's the heads not the lines I need to worry about. Still does not solve my issue. I guess I just need to get more work for it. Really I'm just a general jobbing printing (not signage) this was purchased just to add another string to my bow. I mostly use it for vinyl labels. I have to admit I did not realise the ink usage is such a big issue. This printer was not hugely expensive (second hand) so I'ts worth taking a risk on OEM ink. (about 1/3 of the price of the genuine Mutoh ink).

You can go into the settings menu and choose how often you want your printer to run automatic cleanings. Most printers have this option. Most manufacturers obviously turn the amount of cleanings way up out of the box in order to get that ink cartridge drained. You're supposed to be doing manual maintanance on your Eco Solvent printer every day to every other day as it is. Turn the amount of automatic cleanings down and you should be all set!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back