Epson 9890 Help Please

Orbit Press

Hello all,

A while back I had to replace the printhead on an Epson 9890. When I installed it I didn't realize that a one of the FFC cables was damaged from a previous repair and Im pretty sure it shorted something on the main board. I replaced the damaged FFC cables and did some basic tests to the main board, but it looks like I'll have to either get a new board or sell the machine in pieces. My questions are....

1. One tech that I talked to told me that when the FFC cables originally shorted it probably shorted the main board, sub board, and also the new printhead. I've done a little reading and haven't come across anyone who has had them all get destroyed at one time. Has anyone experienced this.

2. Is there a way to test the printhead to see if any electrical damage was done when it shorted?

3. Apparently when you change the main board or power supply board you are supposed to also change the CR motor and PF motor unless there is some type of code printed on a label attached to them both. Is that actually true, because it seems really wasteful to replace a part that isn't damaged just because a different part is damaged.

I'd prefer at this point to just sell the entire machine for parts, but if the new printhead isn't damaged I'd rather sell that separately since I paid nearly $1400 for it, and the printer is barely worth that much when its functioning. Right now I have no way of knowing if its damaged or not.

Any help would be appreciated here, and thank you in advance.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back