Epson 9880 printing too short

swbshogun

I've got two 9880's and the length of the prints on one printer are too short.
If I print say an 800mm image on one then it comes out 800mm long but if I print on the other it comes out about 795mm & banding can be seen on the image. Not only that but if I measure the image side to side there is about 2-3mm difference in length.
It seems to be media weight related because if I print on 80gsm matt then it comes out pretty much the right size but the above results were on 200gsm.
Both printers are set exactly the same, same firmware same driver etc & I have done a factory reset on the one causing the problem along with a full head alignment just incase, but cannot figure out what is causing the problem.

Wow! You've done everything I would have tried. Without knowing your RIP/printing software, is there a setting within that might be slightly different between the two printers?

pd

Not using a RIP, printing directly from Photoshop using the Epson driver for Mac. As far as I can tell both printers/drivers are set exactly the same.

Sounds like a media advance or tension issue. The banding on the one print means it is not advancing enough. I bet if you added up the overlap over the 800mm you'd find your missing 5mm. Not sure how to fix it but might point you in the right direction.

errr I hope you figured this out by now. Didn't realize the question was so old. lol

The problem was due to a support bracket on the feed bar wearing down & the bar bending when it has tension on it, meaning that it feeds paper at different rates from right to left. It is adjustable but requires a big strip down to get to it. I had to adjust it to it's max so not sure how long it will last & it's not a spare part as far as I can see.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back