Question about Xerox IJP 2000

silviuv

I am interested in buying a used Xerox IJP 2000 (wide format Memjet printheads). I have seen it in action and think it's cool you can print at that speed (and quality). In our print shop we have enough work to use this machine.
Online I found 3 machines (circa 2014) that are for sale. Two of them have only 3000 and 11000 sqm of usage. Why are they selling them ? the original price was 60-100k €, and now they are ~20k €
Is there something wrong with the printer ?

Thank you for any help and advice !
Silviu
​​
​​​​

I got a great deal (10k euro) for a lightly used IJP2000.
The Xerox tech will install it tomorrow.

As I gathered, this printer doesn't like to sit idle.
The more it sits around doing nothing the more it costs in wasted purged ink.
The printer is no longer sold new and the local dealer tells me Xerox will support the printer for another 5 years. After that, who knows !
We will print daily. Fast :)

If anyone has questions, please feel free !

Silviu

UPDATE:

Well ... the IJP 2000 is a piece of junk.
No wonder it didn't sell well. (In my guess-esstimate in Europe they sold under 50, maybe closer to 30)

After several months I just started effectively using it.

Tried to print 80gsm CAD paper. Black isn't dark enough and has a blue tint. The paper smears on the printheads.
Fixed the smears with some thick doublesided tape on the printhead guards.
The print is still a little fuzzy, but is sellable.

Tried printing on 120gsm Coated Paper. With the fix for the smear on 80gsm, the printer has a 12-15 cm leading edge where the printheads are not aligned.
Whitout the ""fix" for the 80gsm paper, the 120gsm media is sellable, that is if it doesn't smear on the printheads.
The servicemen told me the machine is mostly used with 120gsm paper, and no-one has experience with 80gsm paper. ?!?!?!

On 180gsm Coated paper the problem gets worse; it was present without my "fix".

Tried satin coated media. It printed a long smear.

All these papers were on 3" cores, like the manufacturer suggested. Actually the prints on 2" cores are not sellable (smears the printheads).
The 2" core mounts were optional, but I have a pair. I wonder why does the printer has 4 rolls installed when it can't even print properly on one ?

In the service menu the vacuum is set to maximum.

Do you want to align the printheads according to the paper you are using ?
NO. NO. NO. Pick one. Align it. Hope it works on the others.
It has a feather option for joining the printheads. That only works with the autocalibration.
If you do manual adjustments, but the feather is gone ... you have overlap or gap.

The printer has a kind of shading correction. It achieves uniform densities on the whole width.
To confuse the user it also acts as a calibration. If you try to profile the printer in Caldera it confuses the user further ... I don't understand if I should calibrate or not.

The RIP (caldera) reports very low ink usage. And it's great. But....
You change the paper type: printheads wipe.
You change the roll width: printheads wipe.
Printer goes in sleep: printheads wipe.
Priter wakes-up from sleep: printheads wipe.
You start the printer from sleep: printheads cleaning.

I dind't use the printer for almost 1 month and the printheads deteriorated (peramently damaged nozzles). Even if it was in sleep-mode ... stupid machine.

Oh ... and Caldera. Great software. Lousy customer support. When asked a couple of questions they sent me to the FAQ and CalderaDesk.
Surprise ! The answers were not there.
I usually investigate on my own before asking. I previously searched FAQ and CalderaDesk.

My advice:
If you want to buy any wide-format printer with sationary printhead (OCE Colorwave 800/810/900/910/9000, Xerox IJP2000, Vortex, HP PageWide 4000/5000/6000/8000) you should ask to demonstrate live changeovers between media sizes and types.
My Xerox IJP2000 wasn't worth 75-100k when new and isn't worth 10k used.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back