Mutoh ValueJet 1642X thoughts or reviews?

wonderings

We have gotten a quote on a Mutoh ValueJet 1642X and an Epson S40600. The Mutoh is cheaper and a good product from what we have seen. I have heard some grumblings online about Mutoh but never any real specific issues with the Mutoh brand or model. Can anyone give me any serious cons of the ValueJet? Any issues that are pretty common or things to watch for?

The Mutoh is actually the same basic printer Epson sold as the GS6000 -- minus light inks and green and orange. For Epson, that was four generations ago. It did take Epson four tries to get the Sure Color completely right, but they finally did.

In my opinion, if the only choice was between the two, I wouldn't be happy because I think light inks are always worth it, but with that caveat, it wouldn't even be a choice.

I'd take the Epson.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

The Mutoh is actually the same basic printer Epson sold as the GS6000 -- minus light inks and green and orange. For Epson, that was four generations ago. It did take Epson four tries to get the Sure Color completely right, but they finally did.

In my opinion, if the only choice was between the two, I wouldn't be happy because I think light inks are always worth it, but with that caveat, it wouldn't even be a choice.

I'd take the Epson.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

The price is higher for the Epson obviously and we would be looking at the base model that is only CMYK. So Mutoh CMYK vs Epson CMYK. Price is significantly cheaper for the Mutoh which helps when adding a cutter, laminator as well as the hardware to cut down large sheets.

Any mechanical issues with the Mutoh that should be watched? Print heads are not known to go bust in the first year or anything like that?

Not that I'm aware of, no...

Although I'm not necessarily the best person to ask that question.

I see just about every machine/media/ink/RIP combination there is out there, and I can give pretty good insights into printabilty and print quality. But since I don't have a production environment myself, I can't really speak to reliability or customer service or related type issues.

What I will say though is that from my observations, you'll wind up running the Epson much faster then the Mutoh, and you'll have less banding, better print quality, and better drying. I'm not sure why or what's different, but one thing I've noticed about the latest generation SC series Epsons is that the ink lays closer, and dries better and faster then other eco-solvents.

Again, if it was me, I'd buy the Epson.

Mike

Not that I'm aware of, no...

Although I'm not necessarily the best person to ask that question.

I see just about every machine/media/ink/RIP combination there is out there, and I can give pretty good insights into printabilty and print quality. But since I don't have a production environment myself, I can't really speak to reliability or customer service or related type issues.

What I will say though is that from my observations, you'll wind up running the Epson much faster then the Mutoh, and you'll have less banding, better print quality, and better drying. I'm not sure why or what's different, but one thing I've noticed about the latest generation SC series Epsons is that the ink lays closer, and dries better and faster then other eco-solvents.

Again, if it was me, I'd buy the Epson.

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. Are you saying that the Mutoh is more prone to banding while printing unless it is slowed down?

Well, what I'm really saying is that one of the areas in which inkjet printing technology has really improved over the last several generations is in approaches to stopping banding.

And the Mutoh is several generations old. Both Mutoh and Epson touted its "wave" printing pattern as the latest and greatest way to avoid banding back when this architecture came out, eight or nine years ago. But it honestly was never really that effective.

Slowing down a printer is never really going to stop banding; it may make the bands close enough together that they're less visible, but if they're there, they're there.

Mike

The Mutoh is a version of the same machine Epson used to sell... 8 years ago. Epson has moved on to another platform which they have since updated three times.

I'm just telling you the difference in age of the platforms shows every day in every way.

Mike

We have had our 1624x for about a year and have yet to see banding. Keep the head clean, never turn it off and you'll be fine.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back