Recommendations on a mid level oversize printer/scanner?

Like the title says, I am in the market for a oversize printer/scanner that is good for mainly blueprints and text printing. This won't be a machine that is used to make large full color print outs. I would say the largest size I would be looking to print is a 36x48 so a 36" roll would probably be sufficient. It doesn't have to be lightning fast, but I can't wait 10 minutes for a 36x48 printout. It's been years since I worked in an oversize printing department (FedEx Office) and I ran a HP5000 and after that an HPZ6100. Both great machines but overkill for my current operations.

Any suggestions as to what is out there or what you're using? I spoke with my Canon guy about this a year or so ago and he pushed the OCE colorwave 500.

Like the title says, I am in the market for a oversize printer/scanner that is good for mainly blueprints and text printing. This won't be a machine that is used to make large full color print outs. I would say the largest size I would be looking to print is a 36x48 so a 36" roll would probably be sufficient. It doesn't have to be lightning fast, but I can't wait 10 minutes for a 36x48 printout. It's been years since I worked in an oversize printing department (FedEx Office) and I ran a HP5000 and after that an HPZ6100. Both great machines but overkill for my current operations.

Any suggestions as to what is out there or what you're using? I spoke with my Canon guy about this a year or so ago and he pushed the OCE colorwave 500.

The colorwave is super fast, but your description sounded more like you want a b&w printer? When I worked at Kinko's we used an Oce TDS450. I think the newer model is a Plotwave 450.
If you went with a colorwave, just keep in mind it's super low melt toner, so you can't use any heat activated finishing on it. It's also fairly limited on stock types.

The colorwave is super fast, but your description sounded more like you want a b&w printer? When I worked at Kinko's we used an Oce TDS450. I think the newer model is a Plotwave 450.
If you went with a colorwave, just keep in mind it's super low melt toner, so you can't use any heat activated finishing on it. It's also fairly limited on stock types.

Thanks for the reply. I do remember the OCE we had at Kinkos, it was a good machine but I'm in need of something that can do color as well. The toner restriction on the Oce might not work. Although we don't offer oversize lam at this time that doesn't mean we won't in the future or that someone wont want their printout laminated.

Thanks for the info.

We use a Canon imagePROGRAF iPF850 MFP M40.

It works well as both a color poster printer and an engineering scanner / printer. I believe it uses black/dye and color/pigment ink so it's not ideal for outdoor applications but it's quite inexpensive to run and prints very well for indoor use.

They recently came out with a stacker option which is a game-changer. You do not want engineering prints dropping into a basket.

Take a look at the HP Designjet T2530 - we replaced our HP4000 (which was a great machine but getting older and harder to get pieces for) with this. Lower cost to operate, great scanning, fast enough - impressive quality on all settings (as per any inkjet - more ink and higher quality stocks give more impressive results). Really pleased with line colour blueprints on 20lb. stock (regular construction stuff). Capital cost was fairly low and supplies reasonable. We also run a KIP 7100 B&W toner machine - it's getting a little older and once it becomes too costly to keep repairing it - we'll just stick with the HP and not bother having another toner machine. Might add another HP at that point as a back up. We are print for pay and do a fair bit of oversize construction work for builders, engineers and architects.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back