Two Sided Proofers

pcmodem

Registered Users
There are several two sided wide format printers available on the market. I would like to get your opinions on the following two sided wide format printers. If I have left one out go ahead and tell me your opinions on it too.

Spinjet 1000
Spinjet 5000
ImpoProof
PreProofer 780/980 (Epsons)
ImpoProof
Agfa Sherpamatic

Thanks,
Brian Cupp

Re: Two Sided Proofers

We have been using the Spinjet 5500 for over 3 years now and are very happy with it.

Abe Hayhurst
Director of Color and Technology
We Do Graphics, Inc.

One which you have missed out is the VersoJet. IMHO a great unit, but I used to install /support (along with some other double sided systems in a previous life) so I may be biased, but feedback I had was always positive and often users were upgrading from older double sided systems

It doesn't look like this is available in the US. Am I right? I saw their website and there is no distribution listed for the US. What differentiates it from SpinJet?

Hi, regarding distribution, I am not so sure about current situation with US Idistribution know their website needs updating, I know there are some installed in the US, as I installed one back in January.

The main difference are really at engineering support level but a quick run through:

Paper Shuffling to reduce skew, the paper gets shuffled so even if it is not loaded straight by the end of the load it is much closer.

Paper requirment is it can work with lots of paper types, even seen people using uncoated

Alignment of unit to HP is much better, Once set it is hard to lean on it and make it go out of alignment. Having worked with other systems such as doubleproof where this was a common problem, issue.

It uses foils which are placed inside the HP paper path (and easily removed) to allow better paper entry

From a technical side, it is super easy for an engineer to change any parts, which as it happens was luckily very rare.
The system used a USB system to allow easy changing of firmware/settings/testing motors. The main aim of this was to reduce install testing time. for an end user it makes little direct difference but this was a god send for people installing.

As far as speed etc, its pretty much the same, with the versojet you can programme the system to use what ever Paper Type in the HP control panel you wish

On the negative side: it looks industrial and is not as good looking as the spinjet. But I am pretty sure no one buys pre-press kit because it looks pretty.

Like other duplex systems, what workflow you have can make a difference, If you use a slow system then it can take
a while to print the first job, as the controlling software needs both sides of the job before it can process where as sending single sided to an HP it starts printing at the start of the first job. Creo Brisque systems seem to be very slow, where as Prinergy for some reason seem to be lightening fast. The system has been installed on a wide variety of systems

Hi There Bob,

Please call techsage direct, there number i on there website, they still sell in the US

I have one, its OK but every once and a while it flakes out and loses its mind and you have to reload the paper and start the loading process all over again. Time consuming to load. I drive it with tifs generated out of Rampage. The one thing about it is its fast. I have used epsons, doubleproofs and spinjets and its a lot faster then any of them. Would I buy another one, I'm not sure. I have yet to find a double sided proofer that I am a totally satisfied with but all in all its pretty accurate and has no more quirks then the others.

I had the epson preproofer 9800 and if i could have thrown off a bridge i would have. I am currently waiting for the cannon improof 8000 to be installed and i can't wait. I also have an HP spinjet 5500 and the thing is unstoppable. If any one has any feedback on the cannon i would love to hear about it.

Edited by: aaron kruzicki on Oct 17, 2007 9:58 AM

sorry about that last post, i failed to read the rest of the post's. Just getting my feet wet with the whole forum chat thing. Thank you all for you responses.

i think my epson 9800 issue was specific to the machine and not an overall preproofer thing. I have heard that other shops get great results from the preproofer.

We recently replaced a Sherpamatic with a Spinjet 1000. The Sherpamatic was finicky from the time it was new. For the last couple of months, our folks have enjoyed the quality, speed and reliability of the Spinjet.

I've looked at all 2-sided proofers. Impoproof with Canon may look 'home made' but it works the fastest and best. SpinJet on HP5500 is a class act, well designed and can operate unattended.
One you missed is the 'DuoProof' - an add-on to HP5500 and sold I think by Agfa.
No one has mentioned the importance of the 2-sided proofing paper. With the early imposition back-up proofers this was a huge problem, causing jams etc. Reason was mostly moisture getting into the paper. A good proofer can malfunction with poor substrate. HP's 'Bright White' paper, if stored correctly, can work okay but expect to throw the last 50 feet away. Best by far was made by Mitsubishi and coated both sides. DuPont had a go at making an imposition substrate and calling it 'Digital Dylux' at, like USD$500 a roll - not sure if they still market it but I found it no better than Mitsubishi's product (made in their German mill not Japan).
So whatever you chose Brian, take care on the substrate.

Have an 8400 for about a year now and it has been very productive. Not the best unit if you are doing a proof here or there as you will go eat up paper but load this puppy up and it chews through it big time. I'm able to produce 18 4/4 16pg sigs an hour when it was fully loaded with files. Best 2 sided unit I've used to date.

Just to let everyone know. We ended up in getting the ImoProof. I must say it is a workhorse and registration is a lot better than the SpinJet 1000 we had. The only downfall is the waste of paper when you have to push a job out when it is in the paper loop between the two Canon 8000 printers.

I've got a chance to purchase an HP DoubleProof for a very reasonable price. We've got a pair of HP 5500s now and are pretty happy with them.

Anyone got any opinions on reliability, cost of operation, accuracy of backing up, etc? We've just had enough of taping and cutting up proofs.

Thanks!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back