Maximum print length - Epson 9800?

Tom P

Does anybody know what the maximum print length is on an Epson 9800 from Phshop CS3?
Or any work arounds for longer prints.

Thanks.

Re: Maximum print length - Epson 9800?

how long are you trying to print? I would think memory would be your limitation.

Well most rolls of paper for the 9800 are only 100 ft long iirc.
Photoshops document size limit is 300,000 pixels or 4,166.666 inches @ 72 dpI and Illustrator is limited to a document size of 227.54 inches. So I would guess you are only limited by those factors plus any hardware limitations. Do you need to go even bigger?

Are you printing directly to the Epson or do you pass a RIP (Like the flexoproof software --> you can set your size in the printer settings)?

We are using an Epson 10600 Ultrachrome (44") and we have found that when using the Epson driver, the maximum print length is 90.5"

We also have a Nexus RIP/Trapping Server we use for our platesetter that we have setup workflows for ripping to the Epson. The maximum length when using the RIP is the length of the roll.

44x65 image @ 240 CS 3 - won't print with Epson 9800?

44x65 image @ 240 CS 3 - won't print with Epson 9800?

I think I am running into a similar issue as described above, but am unsure of solutions.

I have a fine art print that is 44x65 @ 240 dpi. We are printing to an Epson 9800 with a fully
loaded mac pro with CS3. It seems to me that it is probably a limitation of CS3 rather than the
printer. What are my options to print an image this large....do I need an exernal RIP. Any that
people recommend.

Thanks.

Using an Onyx Rip we've successfully achieved a 16' print. We haven't tried longer but I'm sure we could reach a higher limit. Earlier iterations of the Onyx rip limited us to 95" but updates solved that issue.
I'm sure the limitations of Photoshop don't help either.

Re: 44x65 image @ 240 CS 3 - won't print with Epson 9800?

What application are you outputting from (PSD, Illustrator, InDesign)?
Are you running it directly to the Epson or via a RIP?
I have successfully printed files 44" x 96" (boarder-less) from In Design via our Best Color RIP.

PhotoShop is limited to the length of file it can print (between 1.5m-2.25m, depending on pixels/DPI) - so save the file as a PDF and print from Acrobat to produce 4m+ continuous prints on the Epson 9800 using the native Epson OS-X driver.

Apparently, Epson say that Apple OS-X is limited to 90.5" prints - but I've printed far longer than this using the above system of PDF printing (although strangely, the 9600 can't print the same 4m PDF file the 9800 can). The only problem with PDF printing is the limit on PDF files themselves - which are allegedly limited to 30,000 pixels or the Operating Systems file size limit (4Gb+ on OSX).

i just wanted to say thanks so much for posting the tip about printing from pdf and from acrobat. That works amazing in many ways.

best,
Mark

color shift with pdf...

color shift with pdf...

PhotoShop is limited to the length of file it can print (between 1.5m-2.25m, depending on pixels/DPI) - so save the file as a PDF and print from Acrobat to produce 4m+ continuous prints on the Epson 9800 using the native Epson OS-X driver.

Apparently, Epson say that Apple OS-X is limited to 90.5" prints - but I've printed far longer than this using the above system of PDF printing (although strangely, the 9600 can't print the same 4m PDF file the 9800 can). The only problem with PDF printing is the limit on PDF files themselves - which are allegedly limited to 30,000 pixels or the Operating Systems file size limit (4Gb+ on OSX).

I'm wondering if you have had any problems with color shift bringing your photoshop pdf in to acrobat?

I just did a print as described above with a grayscale image - no problem, the photoshop swatch and the pdf swatch and actual print look great.

I did the same with a sRGB image (both photoshop and acrobats working spaces are set up with sRGB) and the photoshop swatch looks different than the pdf swatch. It looks as though Adobe 98 has been assigned to it (the color difference as I see it - just trying to come up with an analogy).

I'm wondering if you have any ideas or have run into this problem. Let me know if you guys need more information or if I should start a new thread for this.

thanks!
mark

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back