1 bit TIFF filesize

Joren

Hi,

I am responsible for the hardware and software in our prepress department. Also the storage of the files.

If I understand well the tiff files in the original artpro file are 8bit and after the artpro file goes through our rip there are 1 bit tiff files as output for our platemachine.

Maybe a stupid question but why is the filesize of these 1 bit tiffs we use for our platemachine then much bigger then the 8bit tiff files that are used in the original Artpro file?

Probably because the 8 bit tiffs are 300 ppi, and the ripped 1 bit tiffs are the same as the native resolution of your plate imager which could be 2400 ppi or higher.

Last edited:
would be the output resolution being much higher and like dcurry said no lzw compression, why do you even save the 1 bit files? once the plate is done then just delete them.

I can't speak for the original poster, but I save my 1-bits for future reprints. We are a book printer so if we had to re-rip jobs it would take too long, with too much risk of error.

Hi,

I am responsible for the hardware and software in our prepress department. Also the storage of the files.

If I understand well the tiff files in the original artpro file are 8bit and after the artpro file goes through our rip there are 1 bit tiff files as output for our platemachine.

Maybe a stupid question but why is the filesize of these 1 bit tiffs we use for our platemachine then much bigger then the 8bit tiff files that are used in the original Artpro file?
Hi, Joren.
Have you ever found your way out? Have you ever tried to
compress the Tiff files? I am not so sure about it. But you can google it and select some professional Tiff processor to help you with that. It will be better if it is totally manual and can be customized by users according to our own favors. Remember to check its free trial package first if possible. I hope you success. Good luck.

Best regards,
Arron

Another possibility as I re-read the original post is that your original 8-bit Artpro files are possibly 1-up, while your 1-bit plate files are imposed multi-up for the press sheet?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back