A quick estimation if you please...

motormount

Hi all,

Let's say we got

36 job cards.

With 6 different trimmed sizes.

10 of them with defined trim boxes based on job description.

All the others being corel pdf's,tif's,or photoshop pdf's with crop marks unidentifiable by pitstop.

Some to be laminated,varnish only for the others.

Some prints in both sides,rest one.

In two different quantities.

Each one in it's own file folder,and all two sided cars with separate files -pdf or tif- for each side.

To be gang printed in a way that paper can be cut afterwards to be send for laminating only the ones needs lamination,and in a way to help the printer set ink zones at it's best,and after lamination cards needs cut as soon as possible and as easy as it gets.

I'd like -if you will- to get an answer on how much time would you think you needed to prepare this kind of job and set it ready for plate making.

I'd also like to hear how often you get to see such jobs!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Would probably need more information since the sizes are not mentioned other than 6 different sizes - and then which ones would laminate, and which quantities for which cards, and then how could we tell about the images to help with setting the ink zones

its obviously going to be run sheet wise but without more information we would just be shooting at a target we can't see - whats your press sizes - it may take more than one run and it may be beneficial to throw some of them away to gain efficiency

will check back monday . . . .

I just need a rough estimation,like i got two halfolds A4 sized when folded,i need a quarter of an hour checking jobs description,importing and preflighting files -and if everything's fine with fonts images etc- impose them and send them for plates.

Now if files are really small and everything's right i might do a little less or if i find problems -technical or regarding the job description- it might take ages but looking at it i'd think that 10-15 minutes are to be expected to get the job ready for plating.

So if you'd like,reading the description above how much time would you need to prepare the card job for plates?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I just need a rough estimation,like i got two halfolds A4 sized when folded,i need a quarter of an hour checking jobs description,importing and preflighting files -and if everything's fine with fonts images etc- impose them and send them for plates.

Now if files are really small and everything's right i might do a little less or if i find problems -technical or regarding the job description- it might take ages but looking at it i'd think that 10-15 minutes are to be expected to get the job ready for plating.

So if you'd like,reading the description above how much time would you need to prepare the card job for plates?

Thanks again!

Since my questions were based on "the description above" I thought it apparent that I had read it and not the description for a 48 page saddle stitched book . .. but oh well - I'll go with your calculations of 10-15 minutes per job . .

But if our shop were to estimate it on the information given we would put a huge disclaimer on the estimate that would say these prices are subject to change based upon examination of the files when they arrive.

by the way I'm looking for a car - 4 wheels, windshield wipers, and a radio . . . how much????? :)

Dabob thank you for your time.

I'd only like a rough estimation,based on the description above.

Don't need to be accurate,but if you need exact job specs and files to give me yours i can send them Monday morning.

Reason i'm asking is i'd like to hear a couple of opinions and to compare them with mine first estimation and the real time i needed preparing the job.

This is -was- a job from another ''typographer'' who is supposed to provide us printready files and gets same prices as real typographers who send us the job imposed and only needs a simple preflight before get's plated.

And then calls for even a lower price.

So it's very critical to me and the shop owner if a job needs 10 minutes,half an hour or half my shift to get it plated.

So all in good heart,Monday morning i'll send complete order and files to anyone needs them to give their estimation,but i'll take as warmly all answers,public or private,based or not on the actual files and order.

Thanks in advance!

:)

Last edited:
just the sizes and which laminates and which varnish . . . could you varnish the sheet and then laminate it???

The press is 70*100 and the job will be run in work and turn style/mode.

Whole sheet will be varnished,then half of it will be cut and laminated.

I'll send trim sizes and numbers Monday.

Once again and to be clear the job is plated now,i'm asking for a second opinion to compare with my initial estimation and final time needed!

Thank you,and have a nice week!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back