AB Dick 385 gripper adjustment anyone

k_graham

We have a 385 AB Dick for the occasional large form.

Trying to print a 14.25x22 form on 2 part NCR brand and the white CB sheet misses the gripper or bounces out.

I 1st tried using 17x22 NCR but as this is cross grain for the press I thought that might be the problem.

I therefore ordered in a case of 34.5x28.5 so when cut to 22x14.25 the grain would effectively be long grain going through the press. (same problem)

Though it is -30 outside our shop has central ducted heating and 2 humidifiers attached to the furnace that also let a bit extra water through to the drain to reduce mineral buildup on the humidifier plates - humidity is sitting at 40%. I also sprayed a bit of water about anyway just in case. Press is running at slowest speed and even skip feed doesn't work. always the white sheet.

It has no problem with the CF yellow which goes through no problem. If I stop the press as white is about to go through it goes into the gripper but seems to flex a bit as if gripper is too open and instead of following in at a angle tends to hit like 90 degrees.

If this was a AB Dick 360 I would close up the gripper using the screw on the left side but the 385 doesn't seem to have this adjustment - can someone tell me is there an equivilent adjustment?

So far the only adjustment seems to be the feeder tube forwarding which for the yellow to feed is set at 12 - there is no setting that works for the white CB.

The machine has no problem with Bond, or that CF Canary - only NCR brand CB white. Previously I used Imation but have ran out of it and no local supplier seems to be available for it in Western Canada.

Ken Graham
CommunityPrinters
Dawson Creek BC Canada 250-782-7108

Just some thoughts

Just some thoughts

The 385 uses a gripper system on the impression cylinder like the ABDick 9800 series. There is a 3/32” Allen screw that adjusts the gripper tension and also how far they open. Can you hand feed a sheet of White NCR through the machine? If so the timing is OK.
Do this test: hand feed a sheet into impression cylinder grippers, As soon as the upper forwarding lifts off the paper see if you can pull the sheet out of the grippers? If so you need to adjust or replace the fingers.
Too much vacuum or a sticking vacuum valve can cause issues also. The buckle control knob on the 385 works just the opposite of the 360. Deglaze your upper and lower forwarding rollers also.
I have never met an AB Dick feeder that will not work.

OG

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back