AB Dick 9810 thinks paper is feeding when it isn't

maskidder

Posting from my wife's account here... thanks for the advice on the paper wrapping the blanket roller, BTW. Some tack reducer in the ink, increasing the humidity in the shop, a lot of blanket wash, and much fiddling with air and vacuum seems to have the problem mostly solved (knock on wood). I had a couple pieces of 8pt cover stock wrap around on me today, but my ink was way too heavy at the time so they're easy to explain.

Now, we have another problem that has me stumped. We've got two AB Dick 9810XCS presses. The newer of the two has started thinking paper's going through it when it's not. The paper will feed fine, even that 40# junk. There are three fingers at the feed rollers that sense if paper is actually feeding by dropping through the paper path -- paper keeps them from dropping completely. Holding these down manually makes it work correctly. Releasing them results in the fingers operating correctly sometimes, but also staying up on their own sometimes. At first I thought it was only the counter that was acting up. However, it's now clear that the blanket cylinder and impression cylinder are engaging as if there's paper feeding whenever those fingers fail to descend. This is putting image on the impression cylinder and giving me double-sided pages that I don't want when paper does go through. It doesn't matter if the feed is turned off or if it's a skipped or misfeed, and it does it randomly. Sometimes it recognizes a non-feed cycle, sometimes it doesn't.

My mechanical radar says something's bent, binding, or a spring is missing someplace... but I'm darned if I can find anything wrong. I've pulled the covers and traced the motion, looking for broken or missing springs, cleaned away old accumulated grease and gunk, etc. I've compared it to our other 9810XCS. Nothing seems bent, broken, or missing. I'm pretty sure I can fix it if I can just figure out what's wrong with the thing, so I hate to call out the service dude. Besides, at this point it's personal! Anybody have any ideas?

You say you cleaned and removed gunk, but you didn't say you lubricated. Try some WD40 at the support points for the shaft with the three fingers. That shaft may not be as free as you think.

Al

Last edited:
Al,
I think he is referring to the feeler pins which are easily bent when removing a jam under them. Also the upper feed chute above them will bend up and bind them.

Al,
I think he is referring to the feeler pins which are easily bent when removing a jam under them. Also the upper feed chute above them will bend up and bind them.

Thanks for the input. I actually do not have experience with that press and was trying to help using my familiarity with a 1250LW and the 3302M.

Al

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back