AB Dick Century 3000 tech needed!

CostaRicaPrinter

Hi everyone,

Technician needed! My Century 3000 ink ductor solenoid sometimes sticks while engaged. Ink continues to feed even when idling - not good! I have detected that the two solenoids work with around 48 volts, but when it sticks one is receiving 110 volts. Can anyone give me ideas as to what to troubleshoot? I have a schematic, but it only gives the routing, not the voltages and specifications.

Thanks!

Costa Rica Printer
Bill Green

C3000 great machine. The solenoids are 115vac and there are usually stickers on them with specs. They receive their command from the CPU and then routed to the SSR board. The problem you describe is most likely mechanical. Over time a solenoid produces residual magnetism and makes the plunger stick.
The return springs on the solenoid may also be weak and the pawls may be worn or need adjusting. An oversized ductor swollen roller would cause the pawls to loose clearance also.
Any way good luck

Yep, sounds as a really reasonable explanation. It is not about the voltage, it has to interrupt or engage when it is suppose to, check that.

Hello guys,

Thanks for the quick response! I've checked all the mechanical - I actually stretched the spring a bit (so far once that it wouldn't engage!). Rollers are fine. Problem is intermittent. I thought that there was a problem with residual magnetism - but it seems to "go away". Do I need to replace the solenoid if this is the case? I can't find the part. Any leads on a solenoid?

Thanks for the help!

Bill G
CostaRicaPrinter

I agree with the solenoid as the most probable. smalloffsetpressexperts description is spot on.

May not be of any help to you but the first thing I always do when having a solenoid is to remove the plunger and clean it and the inside of the solenoid to remove any traces of oil that may have found its way into it. This has solved the problem of a sticking solenoid for me more times than not.
Good luck

If interested, I have an AB Dick 3000. It has not run for awhile due to a circuit board problem. It could be a running press for someone who has the know how or a parts press. Contact me if interested.

Options are switch the solenoids from tower to tower. If the problems follow the component than you know what to do. If the problem remains verify all mechanical parts are free moving on that side, pay attention to the levers on studs. I had one stud where it was loose and would cause the ductor roller to move. The plate the solenoid is mounted to is adjustable also. I also had one C3000 one tower 2 where the wires come up the side frame to attach to the solenoid where pinched from the side cover making it ground sometimes.
Solenoid info
A-253381 SOLENOID ASSEMBLY (SOL) $103.25
Printers Repair Part

Attachments

• C3000-Service-Manual.jpg
    C3000-Service-Manual.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 192
Hello

Thanks everyone for the input. I re-installed the solenoid and took some measurements. I guess I had checked voltage with the solenoid disconnected. That gives only 43 volts. But when connected, both solenoids draw the same. However, the one I'm having problem with definitely get "magnetized" after a bit of use. Solenoid is clean and dry - no problem there. Everything else is in correct condition. I stretched the spring to the maximum amount where the solenoid will just barely bring the plunger up - so I can probably do some jobs this way. I don't want to pay $103 for a solenoid! I'll probably attempt to adapt another 115v solenoid.

Thanks again!

Bill G

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back