Acrobat Error after installing CS5 Design Premium

Norcrans

OK, I'm going to try and explain exactly what I am doing and when I'm getting this error so please bear with me.

I am trying to set up a test computer for testing CS5 in our production flow. After reading some of the posts here and other places I felt it best to start with a clean system on my test machine.

I have a Intel Dual-Core 2.66GHz machine with 2GB Ram and system OS 10.5.8 (Don't have access to Snow Leopard at the time) OS was loaded clean, nothing on the machine prior to loading the system.

We are a large company and we are on a maintenance program for our Adobe Software so all I received as a installer for CS5 was a .dmg file called DesignPreium_CS5_LS1.dmg. I'm assuming that this installer is just an upgrade installer from CS4 to CS5 because it did not install Acrobat 9 Pro after running the installer. This is where my problem starts.

I had already read that there was not an upgrade for Acrobat and to just use the one that came with CS4 so that is what I am trying to do. I got out my CS4 Design Premium disks and installed just Acrobat 9 Pro.

The problem I'm having though is that when I try and launch Acrobat it gives me the error that says "Suite Product Activation Needed" (Please see attached .pdf. So that's what I tried, I launched InDesign CS5 and then Acrobat 9 Pro but I got the same error.

Is there any way to get Acrobat 9 Pro running on this machine without first installing other components of CS4 that were on the installer disk with Acrobat 9 Pro? Doing this would make it very difficult to ever install a clean copy of CS5 in my opinion. When I start with a fresh machine I want to start with a fresh machine, not install components just to uninstall them later so that certain parts will work.

If I haven't made it clear what I'm trying to do ask and I'll try and fill in the blanks.

Any thoughts? Hopefully you see this Dov and can add some insight on the options I have.

Attachments

• Acrobat Error.pdf
    24.5 KB · Views: 278
This isn't really a "solution" (sorry) but I'm wondering what would have happened had you installed Acrobat first on the fresh machine. Would it require you to install the rest of CS4 to even work? Because that shouldn't be.

Can you do an Adobe product activation from within Acrobat? Perhaps that's all it is looking for. Does CS5 open up and work right now?

This isn't really a "solution" (sorry) but I'm wondering what would have happened had you installed Acrobat first on the fresh machine. Would it require you to install the rest of CS4 to even work? Because that shouldn't be.

Can you do an Adobe product activation from within Acrobat? Perhaps that's all it is looking for. Does CS5 open up and work right now?

There is not a place to add the Adobe product activation because as soon as you click the OK button on the error message that was attached in the original post the program shuts down.

CS5 does open and work.

Uppgrade and clean install is a contradiction if I understand english. I have done neither. I have my CS4 and an install of CS5 from a full licence.

Uppgrade and clean install is a contradiction if I understand english. I have done neither. I have my CS4 and an install of CS5 from a full licence.

As stated in the original post CS4 did not exist on this machine to begin with. I'm trying to avoid even installing CS4 on the machine, it's not needed on the machine.

You may have to install CS4 first and if your CS5 is indeed an upgrade and not a full install, it should only load what it needs to to complete the upgrade.

Last edited:
Well I got Acrobat 9 to run. Luckily I still have my Acrobat 9 install cd's laying around from when CS3.3 came out. This was when Acrobat 9 made it's debut and this installer allows Acrobat 9 to install and run successfully.

All of this could be avoided if Adobe would just include the Acrobat 9 installers with CS5 whether it is a new install of CS5 or an upgrade.

I understand that Acrobat did not change but there are going to be times when people that own just an upgrade bundle will have to do a clean install (new hardware, hardware failure, etc.) and if they don't have access to there old CS4 installers than they are going to be out of luck. It also seems really backwards to have to install an old program just to install a new one.

This was pretty good, quick responses and a problem solved. I posted the same message on Adobe Forums and it only got viewed 2 times and there were no reply's.

All of this could be avoided if Adobe would just include the Acrobat 9 installers with CS5 whether it is a new install of CS5 or an upgrade.

When I got my CS5 upgrade disks, there was a separate disk that had Acrobat 9 on it.
Not sure why you didn't get that part of the install.
Since I already had the CS4 suite installed, I did not need the Acro 9 install that came with CS5.

If you remember, you couldn't fire up Acrobat 9 first when CS4 was installed. One of the other applications had to be the first to start up so that the activation could be completed.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back