Acrobat Layer Options?

MJNC

Hey PrintPlanet!
I have an Illustrator (CS5 - v15.00) doc that has many layers; this will be saved as a layered .pdf file (Acrobat 9 Pro - v9.4.5).

2 things I need to figure out...

1) how can I make it so that when the layered .pdf is opened in Acrobat that it comes up with a layer locked (that cannot be unlocked in Acrobat) so it is uneditable? and

2) I also need for the same .pdf to open up in Acrobat with one layer’s view turned off, while still having that layer in the .pdf so it can be turned on and viewed when needed.

I've been checking around in both apps, and I am not having any luck with finding where to edit these param’s. Has anyone out there on the PrintPlanet ever had to figure these things out? Thanks in advance if you can help me... I appreciate any ideas I can try.

Peace to the PrintPlanet!
_mjnc

To lock a layer you can do that in Acrobat, by changing the layer properties.
For hide a layer, just hid it in Illustrator and it will come the same way in the pdf.
But you will have to save the pdf directly from Illustrator.

Acrobat Layers

Acrobat Layers

Hey CHM;
I thought I had tried saving the .pdf out of Illustrator with the view turned off and it didn’t stick in Acrobat. When I received your post I tried it again, and it does work.
Regarding the locking issue; I am aware of the Layer Properties available in Acrobat. I can lock a layer this way, but if the client knows anything about Acrobat they will just go in and unlock it. I guess, however, that that’s going to have to do.
Thank you so much for the info! Have an outstanding day.
Best,
mjnc

Peace to the PrintPlanet!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back