Acrobat Pro 10

Seixas

Registered Users
Just start to having this issue yesterday.
When I was checking my separations to make sure I only have black in this file, I notice that my file was separating as cmyk. This file has no other color than black. I even check in another computer to make sure the file was correct. I brought into cockpit and it was fine. Only black showed up. What's going on with my acrobat? It could be a bug?

Thanks,
Valerie

Were you checking out the separations with Output Preview? What Simulation Profile did you have selected?
It's possible that what you're seeing may be caused by the Simulation Profile.

Last edited:
I've never seen this happen in Acrobat 10. Acrobat 11 will do this if you've changed the output preview profile.

It does seem weird. Do you have the profile embedded as the output intent? or are you selecting GRACoL as the output intent in the output preview? If you are changing the output preview that may be the issue.

Change your color management settings to have GRACoL as your default CMYK profile and you may get better results.

What was the source program for the pdf? If someone has just started in InDesign, or has the new version, it may be possible that the preference for default "appearance of black" is set to "rich" black instead of 0-0-0-100 type of black. I don't know if that will cause your particular problem, but I recently had in an Indesign file with this rich black setting, and the only way I could get the black to just being black was to copy and past into a new InDesign file with the correct Black preference setting. I think Adobe needs to rename this preference, as more than "Appearance" is involved, IMO.

Also in Acrobat Pro, with the Output preview, it will show cmyk seps even for RGB files. You can see how the colors are actually defined in the pdf, to some extent anyway, but clicking on the field beside "Show" and going through the options available.

The PDF was created in CC, and you may be right about that because it works fine in my other computer. I have a newer computer with the CC installed and the file separates correctly. Thanks! Unfortunately I don't have the client's raw file to check their preferences.

The preferences from the my client's file did not seem to effect or respond to my application's different preferences. I was fortunate to find one of those rare customers that was willing to change her settings when I asked!

I don't know if Abobe changed something about the black with CC2014, or if this is just the first time I have had a file with that preference setting (hard to believe), or perhaps what changed is how files react to different preference settings. To many possibilities for me!

Output preview will often show neutral RGB elements as rich black CMYK in separation preview, giving a false impression. I recommend to always use the object inspector and or to view colour modes separately, such as show CMYK, show RGB etc. Also run preflights to list colour modes etc.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back