After Refining PDF in Prinergy file goes from 90mb to 900mb - Why???

ZacGil

I've had this happen a couple times where a customer sends in a fairly small file, however after it goes through the Refine process(Trapping, Color Matching, Optimizing, etc) it adds a TON of size. While I know that this process is adding info to the file, why is it adding so much? I'm having a hard time finding the root cause and therefore can't communicate how to fix it to the customer. This is a 24 page product coming in a 90mbs. After it Refines in Prinergy Evo it goes up to 900mbs. Which then is freezing Evo altogether and I'm not able to make VPS files or send to the trendsetter.

Help!

Thank you

Sounds like either one or another or both of the following are happening:

(1) The “refining” process is flattening transparency and yielding high resolution raster graphics.

(2) The “refining” process is resampling raster images in a manner that yields dramatically higher file sizes (such as JPEG encoding to ZIP compression for photographic imagery).

This may all be a side effect of all that you are requiring Prinergy to do with your file.

- Dov

Do a bypass refine, check the file size.

Do a refine with normalise, but nothing else, check the file size.

Do a refine with normalise and colour match, but nothing else, check the file size.

Repeat until you find the step that is adding excessive data, then look deeper.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back