Agfa Azura on Presstek Dimension 800

Tesla

Hello all,

I am useing Presstek Dimension 800 CTP with Anthem Pro plate about 2 years. I am happy with this system. But there is only one plate supplier in my country. We are having some problems with plate prices and some thecnical events (such as particle dust). And we are testing Agfa's Azura Chem-Free plates. I have a few questions with Azura plates.

1 - Azura plates contains micro latex balls. I heard, after a certain period of time that the ball is beginning to accumulate on the laser glass. In this case the glass has to change. Is that true?

2 - To set the Azura plate set on Dimension 800 CTP, I just did it on the RIP. Azura is ngative plate. I draw value very down with plate calibration on the HarleQuin RIP. I've lost control over small dots. (%1-%5). How am i follow the way for setting dots on the rip?

2 - To set the Azura plate set on Dimension 800 CTP, I just did it on the RIP. Azura is ngative plate. I draw value very down with plate calibration on the HarleQuin RIP. I've lost control over small dots. (%1-%5). How am i follow the way for setting dots on the rip?

In order to properly set the laser array, you will have to use DimExcelDB utility and reduce currents on each channel of laser diode blocks (AnthemPro plates are power-hungry and require around 600 mJ/cm2 energy, while Azura, and especially AzuraTS require way less) - by reducing laser power you will be able to regain control over smaller dots.

Although it's not a very complicated procedure, if you are not familiar with this sort of adjustmets, I would recommend hiring a serviceman, but if you decide to do it yourself, I might be able to help by giving some directions.

Thank you for replies.

In order to properly set the laser array, you will have to use DimExcelDB utility and reduce currents on each channel of laser diode blocks (AnthemPro plates are power-hungry and require around 600 mJ/cm2 energy, while Azura, and especially AzuraTS require way less) - by reducing laser power you will be able to regain control over smaller dots.

Although it's not a very complicated procedure, if you are not familiar with this sort of adjustmets, I would recommend hiring a serviceman, but if you decide to do it yourself, I might be able to help by giving some directions.
I have a document from Agfa for Azura Set Up Guide Presstek. There is an information for reduce laser powers. They says reduce -400 every channel. I tried this. I reduced -400 value of laser powers. And i printed the azura plates with last settings. I mesured dots. But there was small change on %50-60 dots. Dots reduced %2-3. So i didnt tried next.

To get the results I want, how many should mold exposure? Or where am I making mistake?

I want to ask you another thing. Is there Drum Speed SetUp on PresstekDimension 800. Can I increase Drum rotation speed? So maybe exposure time can shorten the duration.

Thank you for replies.

I have a document from Agfa for Azura Set Up Guide Presstek. There is an information for reduce laser powers. They says reduce -400 every channel. I tried this. I reduced -400 value of laser powers. And i printed the azura plates with last settings. I mesured dots. But there was small change on %50-60 dots. Dots reduced %2-3. So i didnt tried next.

To get the results I want, how many should mold exposure? Or where am I making mistake?

I want to ask you another thing. Is there Drum Speed SetUp on PresstekDimension 800. Can I increase Drum rotation speed? So maybe exposure time can shorten the duration.

Hmmm... I have converted multiple Presstek setups to Azura, but there was never need to alter drum speed, adjusting laser array was more than sufficient, and I was always able to get 1% on the plate.
On what power levels are your lasers? There is a percentage display over each laser block in DimExcelDB, and it rarely goes over 35-40% (may be more, depending on the hours of the laser diodes). Anthems require around 60% for the new lasers, and up to 90% for these with high milleage.

Ok. I give up the drum speed. I attached my lasers power chart on dimension GUI. This settings for Presstek Anthem (positive plate). I reduced each value -400 from this values. But its occur small changes on dots.

I exposed Azura plate with non calibrated (lineer) settings (not -400 reduced). I have read %50 dot around %80. I did calibrated on rip with this values. As a result, small dots going bad.

What should I do? Should I reduced -400 for each laser power value and trying again? I want use Azura.

Attachments

• laser power chart.JPG
    laser power chart.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 226
Ok. I give up the drum speed. I attached my lasers power chart on dimension GUI. This settings for Presstek Anthem (positive plate). I reduced each value -400 from this values. But its occur small changes on dots.

I exposed Azura plate with non calibrated (lineer) settings (not -400 reduced). I have read %50 dot around %80. I did calibrated on rip with this values. As a result, small dots going bad.

What should I do? Should I reduced -400 for each laser power value and trying again? I want use Azura.

You are adjusting wrong values, as you should not adjust factory defaults, but media currents instead. Use Dry-12M media (or any other negative media, such as Testnegative-12M) and reduce currents to a lower level - I am attaching a screenshot of my AzuraTS setup here, so you can have the guideline to start with. Then print a wormdens test to see the exposure of the individual lasers and adjust all fields to the same level of grey, and you will need 5-10 plates to get good results. After that you will be able to make a measurement and compensate in RIP.

Attachments

• presstek.jpg
    presstek.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 248
Thank you Goranr.

I understand you. But our service techincian says to me set values only on Factory settings.
Is factory settings effect to all current media? I printing plates our settings is KomoriS40. I attached screen shots. So you'll see, I use Anthem12M-1 media in my settings (KomoriS40). But when laser zones going to different then I set values on Factory only and I get the right results.

If am I try the Azura plate with Dry12-M media, is there difference ?

Another somethings more,

Where the negative or positive settings for media? I don't see anywhere on GUI?

I will use Anthem and Azura togetheer until I solve Azura problems. In this case, laser power differences between the two media do cause problems?

Thank you again.

Attachments

• Dimesion800-Settings1.jpg
    Dimesion800-Settings1.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 238
  • Dimesion800-Settings2.jpg
    Dimesion800-Settings2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 261
It sounds logical to me that altering factory settings will affect all the media, so I would focus on using some other media (like Dry12M) for Azura while keeping Anthem12M setting for AnthemPro plates - changing factory defaults seems like a wrong approach to me. When you want to use Azuras, just change media type under KomoriS40 press settings (or make a new setting, like KomoriS40-Azura). There is no need to make adjustments every time you want to use some different media.

All media characteristics are stored in a XML file somewhere in the Presstek folder, and Anthem and Dry media come predefined in that file as positive (for Anthem) or negative (for Dry or Testnegative). 12M is used to mark plate thickness (12 mils - 0,30 mm, 06M - 0,15 mm). You can see if some media is positive or negative by selecting press setings (for example "KomoriS40-Azura"), going to the toolbox menu, and selecting second icon from the left - you will be able to see if the media is positive or negative.

So, go to media currents icon in DimExcelDB, select Anthem12M as source and Dry12M as destination media, deduct 400 mA from each laser channel, confirm and click on copy from source to destination media. After that make a Wormdens test (by using Dry media!) to see if all the greys are equal and adjust where necessary.

Thank you Goranr.

I understand you. But our service techincian says to me set values only on Factory settings.
Is factory settings effect to all current media? I printing plates our settings is KomoriS40. I attached screen shots. So you'll see, I use Anthem12M-1 media in my settings (KomoriS40). But when laser zones going to different then I set values on Factory only and I get the right results.

If am I try the Azura plate with Dry12-M media, is there difference ?

Another somethings more,

Where the negative or positive settings for media? I don't see anywhere on GUI?

I will use Anthem and Azura togetheer until I solve Azura problems. In this case, laser power differences between the two media do cause problems?

Thank you again.

Azura-D800

Azura-D800

Use Testneg-12 for sure. Further, know that the Lasers in a D800 are going to lose stability when their power is lowered the recommended amout. Try splitting the difference, and bring your highlight dots back through linearisation. If you ever ran 1st Gen Anthem (vs. Anthem Pro), I am sure you are used to a pretty aggressive linearisation curve.

Optimum laser: 800-1100ma. Less than that gets unstable, more than that is not needed with Azura, but also decreases expected longevity.

As for the build up on the glass?!?!? Use the same cleaning tool supplied to clean away Anthem Dust... The hard part is that you will not have as many visual ques to prompt you to clean, so set a reminder.

I had tested Azura with both Testneg-12 and Dry-12M media profiles, and haven't spotted any real difference, but the serviceman is trying to convince me that Dry-12M is a way to go - I haven't really questioned why.

By testing I have found out that the instability treshold is around 400 mA, depending on the diode condition. So far I have not experienced any form of laser instability (lasers are adjusted to around 500 mA, some more, some less), and I was using Azura (now AzuraTS) for a year.
There is, of course, a linearization curve, but I would not really call it aggressive, for example 50% is measured as 59%, so far I have never had any problems with holding 1% dot, neither on Azura nor AnthemPro plates.

Use Testneg-12 for sure. Further, know that the Lasers in a D800 are going to lose stability when their power is lowered the recommended amout. Try splitting the difference, and bring your highlight dots back through linearisation. If you ever ran 1st Gen Anthem (vs. Anthem Pro), I am sure you are used to a pretty aggressive linearisation curve.

Optimum laser: 800-1100ma. Less than that gets unstable, more than that is not needed with Azura, but also decreases expected longevity.

As for the build up on the glass?!?!? Use the same cleaning tool supplied to clean away Anthem Dust... The hard part is that you will not have as many visual ques to prompt you to clean, so set a reminder.

Question for Dimension/Azura users: how do you "process" plates after imaging? Using Presstek unit?
Janez

Thank you guys.

I tried linearisation again. I did not change laser powers. I copy the azura plates by the anthem pro laser values. I set only dots only on RIP. So far So good. I think only a few minor set was back.

Azura Set-up guide

Azura Set-up guide

Very helpful thread guys. Could you possible post the Azura Set-up guide from presstek? posted by Tesla
Thanks

I can 't find my wormdens test files anywhere. It could be that they go by another name in the "C" drive, can anybody tell me what description to search for ?

Thanks in advance

Thank you guys.

I tried linearisation again. I did not change laser powers. I copy the azura plates by the anthem pro laser values. I set only dots only on RIP. So far So good. I think only a few minor set was back.
Hello again. I ınstalled Azura TS plates for Presstek Dimension 800. I reduce Laser values on mediacurrent test negative. So far so good. But I have laser balance problem with channel 13.

Channel 13 is dark then other channels. I increase laser values for channel 13. But there is no change.

Interesting issue is the channel show more light others on plate. But when I go printing offset machine with this plate then channel 13 is very dark than other channels.

Hoe can I fix it?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back