Agfa Sherpa 24m / Epson 7600

ShotByTom

I am considering buying a used 24" printer. It has a large sticker that says "Agfa Sherpa 24m" and also has tags that say "Epson" on it.

Would this be worth buying for making personal prints? Will I be able to use Epson 7600 Ink cartridges in it and will I be able to find drivers for it? I use Mac and have found OSX drivers for the Epson 7600, but haven't found any Agfa Drivers.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!

Agfa Sherpa 24m is OEM Epson 7600. You can use it as pure Epson with Epson inks and media.
In some cases new Sherpas 24m came to the Customer sites with Epson original CDs (with drivers and profiles).
Agfa used their own inks and papers (plus color profiles) for Color Proof to let that Epson printer work in Agfa WorkFlow as a proofer.
Once upon a time I installed Epson programs on my laptop and printed a few tests on Sherpa.
And I used my resetter for both AGFA and Epson cartriges. Their smart chips were not as smart as nowadays ones.

If I remember correctly, Agfa had it's own firmware in the printer and Epson inks were not recognized. In order to you Epson inks you should change the firmware to the "original" one. I am not 100% sure as it was a long time ago maybe someone else could confirm or correct me...

You are correct, but as I know, Epson provided Firmware Update program on the CD coming with the printer.
Epson Printer Service Utility CD.
Some users removed "smart" chips from AGFA ink cartridges to place them on Epson ones and used chip resetter to make them "new".
There are many ways to cheat :)

Last edited:
The seller says that he uses regular epson cartridges and is using the epson Mac printer driver from the website. Will I be able to buy new epson 7600 cartridges and use them.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back