agfa star 600 + accuset 1500 plus setup

yugilo

I just got a agfa star 600 ripper without any software and a agfa accuset 1500 plus without any software. I'm hooking it up with window xp. I have no clues to any of this. I got a ps companion cd and booklet with the ripper. I don't know if it will work. It has the ripsoft to put files on the ps rip. I spent all day today and got nowhere.
1. do I need software for the agfa star 600 and agfa accuset 1500 plus? please help. I don't understand how the ripper works with the accuset. Do I out put my image (illustrator) to the ripper, then to the accuset?
I'm trying to diagnose it, but I understand very little of how the ripper and accuset works. Since I don't have a manual or software for either one. Thanks.

1.do I need software for the agfa star 600 and agfa accuset 1500 plus?
You need an interface card and cable which should have been provided with your Star 600 (which is a RIP) and if you want to do separations easily you will need a RIP, interface card and cable.

2. I don't understand how the ripper works with the accuset.
Every RIP is different so this is not easily explained in one reply. Whenever we have customers that receive a machine second hand it is best to run a self test on the output device. Once you see good film coming off the machine then you can move on to connecting and setting up the RIP software/hardware.

Do I out put my image (illustrator) to the ripper, then to the accuset?
You would send from Illustrator to the RIP which would then separate the job output it to the Accuset. We do not support the Star RIP software - we sell new RIPs for the Accuset. You can find out more about our new RIPs on the following page:
Harlequin RIP Software for Platesetters and Imagesetters. Film & Plate RIP Software for Platesetters and Film Imagesetters

If you want support for the Accuset and plan on keeping the Star RIP we cannot help you as we sell new RIP-Kits. You would need to find someone like VladCanada to support you through the setup of the RIP and interface. It is worth having the software/hardware explained and setup by someone who can do it quickly and efficiently.

Vlad can get you up & running - strongly consider sending him a private message or reply to his post, it will be a worthwhile investment. I speak from experience running 4cp from an Accuset; if I'd invested one dollar for the hours I spent researching, pondering calibration, negotiating network communication, I'd be ahead.

That said, your requirements are;
Power up the 1500, run an internal test page to check imaging - the manual should clearly explain this.
Get the ripper 600 found on your network - can't help much here. It may require Appletalk, PCMacLan is the standard PC software for Appletalk on a PC network, but it may handle TCP/IP.
Install the ppd's under XP. These were, last I checked, available from Adobe, deep somewhere. You'll never find them thru Agfa (IMO). Actually, there was a set re-written for XP; the original ppd's were written before the release of XP, and modified and posted on a Mac forum over 10-15 years ago. I still find the post when I look, but have redundant archive set(s) locally saved.

Note - I could be off base on driving the ripper, I'm just run this stuff.

I know a lot about customer service, buddy ;)
But there are no customers at forum, we are colleagues and even friends in here.
If you need a real guideline in troubleshooting or specific answers for spec QQ - dont hesitate to be straight in that way.
Fir instance: what kind of RIP booklet do yoy have? What kind of RIP <--> PC connections did you try?
And why I have to ask you this QQ? :)

I read you pdf file on the accuset 800 and it only talks about internal rip. I don't have anything "manual or paper booklet" on the star 600. So that's the reason that I'm searching the internet. The star 600 is made in 1989, so yeah, it's really old. If we did have money, we would by the new and improved rip that is software friendly. But we don't, that's the reasons why I'm trying to make this rip work.
As far as the things I've done...
I'm hooking up my pc window xp to the star 600 rip throught port lpt1 and the extra port on the rip. I tested the accuset 1500 self test, and it works.
All the accuset part is good to go.
I added the printer using the accuset 1500 driver I downloaded.
My problem is the communications between the pc and the rip. I know that it's not software base system rip. The rip is hardware because I talk to the support group at one of the site posted above. The support told me that the rip is hardware and not software base, if it dies then I have to get another. The updated rip is $4,500, so yeah we don't have that kind of money.
I try to use the ripsoft software I got from the person who got the rip. It's a DOS format and I try to installed that, but that's where I'm stuck is the DOS program. I downloaded all the files using DOS and it said to check using the bootcheck to see if all the programs is installed. BUt I don't know how to check to see if all the programs are installed correctly. So yeah I've spend two days on it so that's all I got so far.
Mainly how to see if the pc is talking to the rip. Do I have to use DOS and if so, how do I go about doing it. Yes we don't have $4,500, other wise, we can get a new one with everything and the problem solved. This is in a way a learning curve for me. Well, thanks for your input.

yugilo, this is your exactly the first question should be published after your registration!!!!! :)
Congratulations and thank you for being a quick learner!
Send me PM with your e-mail addres to get that RIP Star User Manual.

I've sent you 3 books with user's info.
Read them.
Hope they will help you to understand almost all.

I've swept off all my bloody spots off the crime scene. :D
This is your turn now :)

Last edited:
yeah I'm still new at this, so I don't know how to remove messages. Anyway, my progress so far is moving slowly but moving. Thanks to VladCanada. He got me 3 manuals to read. I read them. I try a lot of stuff he told me, for FREE. Yes no charge and I thank him for that.
I'm still stuck. The manual said to installed the DOSRIP program from the disk, which I don't have. So I guess I'm stuck for now.
I hooked up the the ethernet from the back of my pc to the ethernet on the back of the star 600 rip. I'm hooking directly so, he said I don't need any tcp/ip address. Well, I'll keep trying until I get the DOSRIP program. I'm stuck for now. But thanks for everything.

I have only skimmed as I am flat out but I am in a similar situation with having just picked up a Accuset 1200. I am vaguely familiar with some of the systems from our Fuji image setter but I am still playing with fire I feel. Nothing ventured nothing gained they say. Will frequent this post to see what other bits of information turn up.

Well still working on my star 600. I've switch to mac os 9 and now I can't find the printer in the chooser. I was wondering if the star 600 + accuset 1500 is appletalk compatible. My set up right now is hooking the ethernet wire from the back of the star 600 ethernet port to my mac os 9 g4 ethernet. I don't know if I have to hook it through my internet router with the the mac and the star 600. Well, hope some one knows the answer.

By default Accuset+RIP works like a network printer, so every user is able to send jobs directly from front-end application programm without PS conversion. Actually Star RIP is just another computer (with its own OS) in your local network.
Again, Star RIP has to have a fixed IP address.

Last edited:
Well, another day wasted working on this star 600. I found out today that the guy who sold us the star 600 said that he doesn't know if this thing works??? I guess that should have been my first diagnosis. My friend haven't paid him yet for it ofcourse. If the star 600 doesn't work, it's going back. So sorry for all especially VladCanada who helped me the most for his effort and time. Until further noticed, I don't know what's going to happen to this star 600 but the TRASH...

"Nil desperandum!" - as Latinians said centuries ago.
Remove all covers off RIP box, find SCSI Hard Drive, check LED status of data reading, check the sound of HD spinner and magnetic heads clickings.
Check how LEDs are blinking during boot-up at RIP front panel according to User Manual.

Last edited:
My set up right now is hooking the ethernet wire from the back of the star 600 ethernet port to my mac os 9 g4 ethernet. I don't know if I have to hook it through my internet router with the the mac and the star 600.
Did you use a "crossed" RJ45 cable???

Ethernet 10baseT is basically a "star" network that need all the peripherals to be linked to an hub or a switch...
(probably your internet router includes a switch if it has more than one port).

... but it is sometimes possible to link an Ethernet 10baseT printer directly to an Ethernet RJ45 port of a Mac, but the connexion has to be crossed: recent computers have an automatic detection that allows the use of a normal "straight" RJ45 cable... but it's not sure that your G4 is enough recent to have this feature, and it's sure that the Star RIP is too old to have it!!!

So, to link such old devices directly together, you should try at least to use "cross" RJ45 cable.
(but it's better to try with a switch !!!)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back